Auto Feeding Whilst On Hols

DigitalStorm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going away for the weekend and am looking for an auto feeder.

(FYI - Unable to call on family as they are away with me.)

For a boyu tl550 - I'm away for 3 call it 4 days.

if you give them a big feed just before you go the fish will be OK as they will live off the organisms in the water have you got any live plants?

Ehiem do a nice one better to try and feed everyday imo I know the orca does nt loose much water if you are topping up you may need to add an auto top off on

No plants.

Only concern is moisture control, condensation on the 550 is quite a lot.

did you mean the eheim 3581?

I wouldn't worry, most fish can happily go a week or so without food. In nature they are used to going prolonged periods without eating, it's rare for them to eat as regularly as we feed them and that's why lots of people recommened a starvation day or two during the week.

I've left my tank for 1 week on a few occasions and I've had no issues.

Whoops, just noticed this was in the Marine section....dont know if my advice is valid for marine fish???

Marines do not do well being left for a long period without food

But yip the 3581 should do the job :good:

I reckon 4 days without food is too long to put down to chance. Therefore, after much research, I've gone for the 3581.

Cons
Lack of mounting. This means it's going to have to be attached to the front flap, and therefore evaporation and jumpers may come into play. But that's my trade-off.

Pros
Integrated airflow to stop clogging. Not too sure how effective this actually is but I'll let you know how it goes. If it goes well I might do some sort of hood integration on a more permanent basis.

No food for the weekend is fine. Feed before you leave. Actually, I'd be more worried about missing topoffs than feeding time.

Have fun.
SH

already accounted for... I've done a 10% this evening @ 1.023sg.

whatever evap is gonna occur should bring it back to around 1.025.

the tank is in the hall in my house and is, in this location, most protected from fluctations in heat and light.

Therefore, it was always the food for my particular circumstances.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back