Aust. and PNG native fish watercolour and charcoal art

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Salamanderfish and 2 species of rainbowfish (crimson-spot and Boeseman's) in watercolour, India ink brush pens and pen, and charcoal and pitt pastel for banded rainbowfish. Will do more art soon.
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0935.jpg
IMG_0934.jpg

You need to do them lengthwise so they fill the entire page and have a tail.

The rainbowfish in the middle looks really pissed off. He needs a thought bubble above him saying "I'm having a really bad day" :)

They are getting better, keep practicing and you'll be exhibiting them soon :)

Nice work!

But they aren't native fish. They are extremely expensive exotics, some of them.

All fish except glofish, flowerhorns and other manufactured creatures are native fish. On an international forum, you should specify "Australian" or "Papua New Guinea" fish. If you don't, a lot of new aquarists will not know what you're showing.

Very lovely art! I politely disagree with Colin though. I know you're interested in animal portraiture and for portraits, you shouldn't show the whole body. After all, someone would think it was weird if they went to get their portrait taken and the artist drew or photographed their entire body! If you wanted it to specifically be a scientific illustration, then yes, you would want to show the entire animal. But, since I think this is meant to be portraiture, I actually really love the fact that you've focused on their faces. I think it highlights the expression and "personality" of each fish.

I think there are a lot of people who would love to have something like these on their wall. Keep it up and you may be able to sell your work

These are fantastic

You need to do them lengthwise so they fill the entire page and have a tail.

The rainbowfish in the middle looks really pissed off. He needs a thought bubble above him saying "I'm having a really bad day" :)

They are getting better, keep practicing and you'll be exhibiting them soon :)
Yes, but they're portraits of Australian fish.

Nice work!

But they aren't native fish. They are extremely expensive exotics, some of them.

All fish except glofish, flowerhorns and other manufactured creatures are native fish. On an international forum, you should specify "Australian" or "Papua New Guinea" fish. If you don't, a lot of new aquarists will not know what you're showing.
Whoops, I'm from Perth and wanting to do some endangered fish portraits. These fish do have personality indeed. I will edit the title a bit for people to know where they live. :)

Edit: Done editing.

Most reactions

Back