Attacked by Ich

Well, its not looking good on the ich front. I saw the spot disappear the 3rd day into the treatment but now they are back on the 6th/7th day. The medication calls for 3 more doses over the next 10 days. Is this working, or is it still too early to tell. Could these parasites have already been on the fish before treatment? How long is the parasite embedded on the fish before its visible?

I wonder if I have a severe case of it.

Yeah, I did. He only made it 3 days in there. I don't know why he died as the water is fine. But I may try another one here soon.

I think that you may be approaching the problem wrong. You seem to think that your tank conditions are perfectly fine and that you brought in ich on some live rock. Ich is present in everyone's tank, it is only when the fish are stressed from some sort of environmental issue that they succomb to the ich and that's when you see the spots on the fish. The fact that your cleaner shrimp died right away coud be a sign that all is not well regarding your water quality, temp, etc. You haven't yet listed your water parameters, if you could list them we could be much more helpful.

The Ich is now finally on its way out. My nano took care of itself and the Domino shook it off along with assistance from the blood red shrimp. The remaining fish in the 55 gallon are now parasite free with thanks to Kent RxP. That stuff is awesome. I reccommend it :thumbs: My only advice is to beware of the potent skimmer output and wear gloves and maybe goggles if you are accident prone while treating the tank and emptying the skimmer.

I moved my 3 mexican turbos and inverts, especially the urchins to avoid problems there. It is not guaranteed to be compatible with all inverts and corals. But it is for sure not compatible with urchins, sponges, sea squirts, and sea stars. The ich got whacked hard by that medication and is gone. I am still following up for the next 10 days to ensure any residual ich gets policed up.

I know others keep mentioning the tang... I agree the tank is small for a tang....but, the tang was perfectly healthy for well over a year even while being pestered by a domino damsel that was moved out recently. Now the tang shares the wide open 55 gallon tank with only the false lemonpeel angel. I will keep it that way until i have my new 180 gallon in a few months.

As for the stress that was the cause... The only common denominator that links everything together exactly by deductive logic was changing the substrate and adding the sand and causing the severe cloudy conditions bothered the fish that were in there during the process. Only the fish that were affected no matter where located were in that tank during the process. Maybe the gills took stress from the severe unsettled dust and debris and therefore stressed the fish. On top of that, it caused a reconfiguration of the decorative items that were in the tank and it disrupted everyones preferred sleeping locations.

As for water testing.... Everything was well within limits except for a higher nitrate reading in the 55 gallon which was addressed 3-4 weeks prior to the outbreak. Even then, that does not explain the nano catching it too as the water in that tank is immaculate.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who helped and gave opinions during the process as it helped out quite a bit. Its a shame I couldnt get it under control before losing my flame angel who got hit the hardest. :(

I think the tanks will be happy for the next month or two until I can get a much larger tank put together and operating.

Most reactions

Back