Attacked by Ich

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TBLightningFan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 55 gal tank just came down with ich. The Neon Gobies kept my angels fairly safe so far but since they don't clean each other they have it pretty bad. I hope they make it. I started the Kick-Ich today. I removed my carbon and turned off the air in the skimmer.

Does anyone know how well this stuff works?

Anyway, I made it for a year with this tank without getting ich or losing a fish. I guess I was due for something to make things interesting.

I would like a cleaner shrimp but this tank does not have Live rock. Just Live Sand. So I figured that wasnt fair to the shrimp to not have rock. Unless you guys think one would be able to get by in the tank if I add certain foods.

When my fish got ich i used garlic, oh the posibilities, anyway, he just got home and was covered with it. gave him the garlic and he was well by the morning. mabey i was just lucky, but it worked.
Dont kill me if im wrong but i remember reading that who ever made there own food, their fish didnt get sick. For future info.

yoou can also try a short fresh water dip with the med. in the water. DONT KEEP THE FISH IN THERE FOR TOO LONG!!!!! ******use this for a last resort******

-_-

hope your fish get well,

FF

Get a cleaner shrimp at least. its cheaper than a UV (I would get one too but they are pricey).
I would rather have a cleaner at minimal cost than lost alot of money in fish through ich.

Why dont you just get a little bit of reefbone to make a cave for the shrimp? 10 Bucks at the most for the little scrap of rock and 5 bucks for a pepermint shrimp and you save your gobies, and have added the foundation for a little LR action and a new resident who will help you out in the future.

And even if you dont get the shrimp a cave its not fair to the neons to have ich with no one toclean it up, in nature these problems rarely get out of hand because cleaners are everywhere.

Goodluck

It may be worth directing a powerhead at the waters surface while medicating, as many medications reduce the oxygen carrying capacity of the water and with your skimmer turned off gas exchange could be limited.

I have an aerating powerhead that always points at the surface. On occasion during the day I will open up the air valve and aerate the tank for 15 minutes or so. I also do that at every water change as well to aerate the added water.

The meds say to turn off the skimmer but I left it circulating water and just cut off the air. Will that be fine? I figured it would be bad to leave water standing in it and just let it circulate without skimming.I also pulled out my carbon out of the canister as well.

Navarre said:
Get a cleaner shrimp at least. its cheaper than a UV (I would get one too but they are pricey).
I would rather have a cleaner at minimal cost than lost alot of money in fish through ich.
I have been looking into that. I can just go get a piece or two of LR for the shrimp. I would like to just load up my 55 with tons of LR but I am moving in a month or two and having it loaded with LR will complicate the move. :blink:

Off to the store to go get a cleaner shrimp for my tang :( She's starting to get itchy.

Today was the 2nd dose (out of 7) for the medication so it should start really kicking in today

Make sure that the medication you use is Reef safe. Cuprazin is probably the best treatment you can get but its not reef freiendly as it has copper in it (dealdly to corals and shrimps).

Octozin and Oodinex are proven treatments.

I am using the Kick-Ich to treat it. I cant remember what the active ingredient is in that. But it's reef safe.

Well with deductive logic I know where the ich came from. We happend to be out and about and I needed water. Well I knew there was a fish store in this part of town so I took my water jusgs with me so I could get some saltwater to do a water change. While I was there I decided to buy some fiji LR for my nano.

I had no problems with any of my tanks for the entire year I've had them. But now the tank I used the water in and the tank I added the LR to....... both came down with ich.

I dont think I will ever go to that store again. Anyways, now my 55 gallon has a cleaner shrimp assisting with the ich problem. I hope it starts to go away :(

Try adding garlic to your food. It really does help with Ich

What kind of garlic? Fresh, Minced, or what?

Let me know what kind and how I should add it to the food.

Most reactions

Back