At What Point Do You Ask For Help

I haven't read through this whole thread, but will give my 2 p.

"At What Point Do You Ask For Help, for a sick fish?" is your main question?
My personal answer: As soon as you don't know what you're dealing with.

In my personal case (the one with the Angel fish which Tolak gave as an example) I was at first under the impression that the small mark it has above it's eye (not *nearly* as prominent as in that photo) was the result of some fighting. I had a third Angel in the tank and all three of them were fighting a lot over the past few weeks. The third Angel has now been removed and it was really only a few days before I posted that photo (and when the lesion didn't heal with Melafix) that I realised I'm dealing with something else. And within a few days it became apparent that the "lesion" changed shape and a couple more popped up.
And came to ask advice. But only after I did my own research and couldn't find an answer.

Now though my cats are insured, I can't insure my fish. And when I was told that it would cost £70 JUST for a consultation - that's excluding tests, slides, scrapes etc. and treatment I really had to think carefully.
I don't have £120 + (at least) lying around to spend right this very moment.

Not that I don't value a living being's life and an animal under my care. I insure everything I own (car, house, phone, life, you name it) so that I don't have to fork out unforeseen amounts of money at the drop of a hat - because I can't afford to. Now don't anyone dare tell me that I shouldn't keep animals for that reason.
I provide the best quality of everything I can - and that includes care.
I've kept fish for over 30 years and have worked in animal welfare & veterinary nursing for very many.

But I have choices to make when I have odds to weigh up.

lol... I agree a bit off topic :p oh and em, HAPPY BIRTHDAY XD Glad you shared :) lol I feel stupid now I'd of guessed you were 23 from your picture, not 29! :good:

anyways.... back on topic lol, somebody said a few pages back that it's not just about X amount of dollars on the meds, but the vet trip too. In regards to fish I find that unless it is a serious or complex disease/disorder I wouldn't take it to the vet.

Some things, yes a vet is needed for, but some they aren't (no offense Emmsy :p). With fish, if you have something such as white spot or ick I highly doubt that you'd take it to the vet, the trip alone may end up stressing the fish to the point of death. But if it's a serious illness such as open wounds all over the body or a cancerous growth, then the vet would oviously be needed. Still I wouldn't risk moving the fish I'd have the vet make a house call.

lol not trying to be smooth here, I already got a better half :p

What can I say? Guess I'm smooth... :p Let's see what Emmsy says then she'll be the judge of if I'm smooth or not lolz.

extremely off topic ( sorry mods I did warn them ).

Oh smooth! you are you are.. So smooth, nothing sticks to you, so I will call you Teflon from now on mate!

lol
apparently I am smooth. But can we get back to the topic soon? lol not to take away your glory Emma :p So... I'll repost my old post...
anyways.... back on topic lol, somebody said a few pages back that it's not just about X amount of dollars on the meds, but the vet trip too. In regards to fish I find that unless it is a serious or complex disease/disorder I wouldn't take it to the vet.

Some things, yes a vet is needed for, but some they aren't (no offense Emmsy ). With fish, if you have something such as white spot or ick I highly doubt that you'd take it to the vet, the trip alone may end up stressing the fish to the point of death. But if it's a serious illness such as open wounds all over the body or a cancerous growth, then the vet would oviously be needed. Still I wouldn't risk moving the fish I'd have the vet make a house call.

Yea, but if the fish cost you $2000 to begin with are you really going to allow an investment like that just slowly die? If so you maswell just flush the 2 grand down the toilet!

I'm only saying the vet is neccesarry in an extreme situation such as when the too complex for you to cure alone, or the medication must be purchased from a vet. In either cas a house call may not be neccessary, you could do a simple swab of the fish's infected area and bring it in as a sample for the vet to try to diagnose.

Now were safely back on topic...Who thinks Liang was a breath of fresh air in the snooker this year? lol

What point do you ask for help???

Maybe you should ask yourself that question!

(ain't I a stinker!!)

Most reactions

Back