Assassin Snails

what snails do the eat?

Most small snails but not each other

do they harm any fish?

No

are they any good?

They usually are. They do need good water and like to burrow. Be sure to acclimatise as you do with new fish.

do they breed?

Yes but not at the rate of 'pest' snails
 
what snails do the eat?

Most small snails but not each other

do they harm any fish?

No

are they any good?

They usually are. They do need good water and like to burrow. Be sure to acclimatise as you do with new fish.

do they breed?

Yes but not at the rate of 'pest' snails


do they eat trumet snails?
 
I have seen it mentioned that they will go after trumpet snails, it just takes them a little bit longer!

The assasins have a probe which they use to pierce the soft tissue of their prey then suck them out :sick:
 
I've heard they arn't good at getting rid of a snail infestation, more of a 'novelty', you could get better results by manually removing the snails using tried and tested means (cucumber at night etc), though a little extra help couldnt hurt :).
 
I've ordered 2 assassin snails, 1 for each tank, as I got baby snails come in from somewhere and I figure this was better than worrying about fish compatibility or chemicals. Plus they need a male/female to breed so with 1 in a tank, they won't become the next snail outbreak!
 
I had them and the inlaws still got them.

Yes they eat MTS but they only need to eat 1-2 snails a week as far as i know.

So not rearly a good control.
 
To be honest I had 2, never saw them for ages then found them both in my gravel-vac bucket....empty shells :unsure:

Perhaps they ate each other :lol:

Wasn't going to pay again what my LFS was asking...... :sad:
 
ive got 2 assasins in my tank and this mo 1 appears to be dead god nos what happend it gurrrr

at my lfs they cost me £4 ea :(
 

Most reactions

Back
Top