Asian gold clams

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sam ary

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my clams shell seems to be flaking or chipping away around the edges? It's behavior seems to be regular, still opens up and moves with it's foot and seems to be filtering normally!!! Is it a deficiency in something?
20191005_201654.jpg

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Check the pH and GH of the tank water.

If there is ammonia, nitrite or a high nitrate level in the water it will affect them.
If the pH is below 7.0 the shell will dissolve.
If the GH and KH are really low, the shell will dissolve too.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Check the pH and GH of the tank water.

If there is ammonia, nitrite or a high nitrate level in the water it will affect them.
If the pH is below 7.0 the shell will dissolve.
If the GH and KH are really low, the shell will dissolve too.
How do I bring up the ph? it's way lower than 7.0!

The easiest way to raise the pH is to add some limestone, dead coral rubble or some shells to the tank or filter. You add a small amount and monitor the pH over a week. If it's still low then add a bit more and monitor for another week. Continue doing this until the pH sits around 7.2 then stop adding stuff.

The shells, coral rubble and limestone are all made from calcium carbonate, which will dissolve slowly over years and help to keep the pH stable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back