Arowana/tinfoils & Silver Dollars.....

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
I've linked up with 2 local forums to try & get stocks for A 1040l tank which I'm setting up, but whenever I need expert advice, I return to this forum to get your opinions......

The only fish I've secured thus far is the 2 x 12/13" Oscars, 1 x 15" Pleco and 3 x (Larger than average) Convicts.... There is a guy who offers an Arowana (50cm) at R600, (equivalent to 36 Pounds or around $57 ..... is this a bargain??? and also, will the fish be compatable with the others... (I have to drive about 600km to collect them)....

On the same trip, I can also pick up (some 40km further) 2 x 25cm Tinfoils.... at R50 ea...(3 Pounds or $4.80)

IYO.... is it worth the trip??
 
I've linked up with 2 local forums to try & get stocks for A 1040l tank which I'm setting up, but whenever I need expert advice, I return to this forum to get your opinions......

The only fish I've secured thus far is the 2 x 12/13" Oscars, 1 x 15" Pleco and 3 x (Larger than average) Convicts.... There is a guy who offers an Arowana (50cm) at R600, (equivalent to 36 Pounds or around $57 ..... is this a bargain??? and also, will the fish be compatable with the others... (I have to drive about 600km to collect them)....

On the same trip, I can also pick up (some 40km further) 2 x 25cm Tinfoils.... at R50 ea...(3 Pounds or $4.80)

IYO.... is it worth the trip??


The arowana is a good price but are you prepared for keeping a fish that will reach nearly 3 feet long within 2 to 3 years assuming its a silver arowana, which at that price it must be.

Tinfoil barbs are a menace at feeding time, they don't do anything wrong directly but they are so fast and greedy that no other fish will get a look in at any food and could starve to death unless you really over feed to get some food past the tinfoils.
 
Hi Ludwig,
what are the dimensions of the tank?
if its fairly tall and at least 3 foot wide then I would say go for it,

£42 for an aro and two tinfoils would be an absolute steal IMO,
at work i sell 1-2 inch tinfoils for £4.50 each and we have a 15inch aro at £55,

Just depends on whether its gonna be worthwhile in fuel costs tho
 
Thanks CFC, this is for inside of a restaurant & I think in a 2m x 76cm wide, it will make a good display, (even - or especially at 3 ft)... There are feeding hatches in the canopy at either end, so while the Foils are busy at one end, we can perhaps entertain the rest of the fish at the other end.... Will the SD's be ok in this setup??
 
sounds like a good price in my oppinion, i have three tinfoils around 13-14inches they are as cfc bloomin greedy, but ive managed to score a feeding system at either end of the tank, all the fishes get there fair share, even the senegal birchir who is so laid back,id sware birchirs were from south america<manyana> life style
 
Thanks CFC, this is for inside of a restaurant & I think in a 2m x 76cm wide, it will make a good display, (even - or especially at 3 ft)... There are feeding hatches in the canopy at either end, so while the Foils are busy at one end, we can perhaps entertain the rest of the fish at the other end.... Will the SD's be ok in this setup??

sorry but the tank isn't wide enough for a silver aro, or long enough for that matter
 
That tank should be able to hold that arowana for maybe another year before the fish will get too big. Its kinda hard saying if its a good deal or not though because it depends on how much you want to pay. If you can get a hold of them, jardinis might be more suitable for a tank that size, but it might terrorize the rest of your tank.
 
Damn!!!... I knew I should'nt have asked..... My heart says it'll make an excellent centrepiece, but on your advice, my mind says "leave it alone"...... Just seemed such a bargain.

I'll then settle for the Siver Dollars and/or Tinfoils...... i.e. Should it be 2 Tinfoils or 2 Siver Dollars, or can I get both??
 
Damn!!!... I knew I should'nt have asked..... My heart says it'll make an excellent centrepiece, but on your advice, my mind says "leave it alone"...... Just seemed such a bargain.

I'll then settle for the Siver Dollars and/or Tinfoils...... i.e. Should it be 2 Tinfoils or 2 Siver Dollars, or can I get both??

both would be ok, although SD's wil feel more confident in a bigger number if you can source 2-3 more.
 
Just got hold of the guy & told him that I'm not taking the Arowana, but he also has available:

30cm Emerald Cichlid
20cm Red Devil Cichlid
2 x Large Albino Tiger Oscars
30cm + 20 cm Plecos
Silver Dollar
2 Spot Gourami.....

For all of these he wants R750.... (68$ or 45 pounds)

I think these would look good in the tank???? & are the prices market related??
 
Just got hold of the guy & told him that I'm not taking the Arowana, but he also has available:

30cm Emerald Cichlid
20cm Red Devil Cichlid
2 x Large Albino Tiger Oscars
30cm + 20 cm Plecos
Silver Dollar
2 Spot Gourami.....

For all of these he wants R750.... (68$ or 45 pounds)

I think these would look good in the tank???? & are the prices market related??

Price look really good tbh

I'm guessing he hasn't got all of those together?
A red Devil would be too aggressive to be put with oscars IMO, and the 3 spot gourami would most likely get killed

I'm guessing the tank is just shy of a 6x2x2
if so i would go with the following

3 Oscars
3 Convicts
3 plecs
1 Emerald cichlid
Tinfoils
Silver Dollars
 
shelagh would sell an arm for a breeding pair of oscars i think!!

Shelagh i seen a true breeding pair of Oscars 1 albino 1 normal in durham........they were 60 quid for the pair!!!!
 
I'd also say that is a deal. Large cichlids fetch a nice sum. I'd just be very careful and watch for hole in the head disease. If any of them are wild caught you need to get some meds before you can add them to your main tank.
 
I'm getting contradicting responses here, & tommorrow is "D" Day......... I'm leaving here at 8'ish and braving the traffic of Joburg...... I'm not getting the Arowana, but wil the rest be ok???..... But Davo worries me about the Red Devil Temperament......, and Drobbyb about the "hole in the head"...... i.e.......... A red Devil threatining 12" Oscars,..... He must be a terrible terror????(i've never kept them).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top