Arowana/tinfoils & Silver Dollars.....

I'm getting contradicting responses here, & tommorrow is "D" Day......... I'm leaving here at 8'ish and braving the traffic of Joburg...... I'm not getting the Arowana, but wil the rest be ok???..... But Davo worries me about the Red Devil Temperament......, and Drobbyb about the "hole in the head"...... i.e.......... A red Devil threatining 12" Oscars,..... He must be a terrible terror????(i've never kept them).

I'm just careful. I would hate to lose a whole tank of fish because the new one has brought something with it.
 
I'm getting contradicting responses here, & tommorrow is "D" Day......... I'm leaving here at 8'ish and braving the traffic of Joburg...... I'm not getting the Arowana, but wil the rest be ok???..... But Davo worries me about the Red Devil Temperament......, and Drobbyb about the "hole in the head"...... i.e.......... A red Devil threatining 12" Oscars,..... He must be a terrible terror????(i've never kept them).

I'm just careful. I would hate to lose a whole tank of fish because the new one has brought something with it.


What are the odds??? (percentage wise)???
 
red devils are exactly that!! in a large enough tank though they will be fine!!

will you not quarantine them in one of ur big tropical pond things??
 
I'm getting contradicting responses here, & tommorrow is "D" Day......... I'm leaving here at 8'ish and braving the traffic of Joburg...... I'm not getting the Arowana, but wil the rest be ok???..... But Davo worries me about the Red Devil Temperament......, and Drobbyb about the "hole in the head"...... i.e.......... A red Devil threatining 12" Oscars,..... He must be a terrible terror????(i've never kept them).

I would post in the New World section to get a good variation of responses but theres my 2cents,

IMO the Red Devil being in with 3 convicts at least 2 (if not 4) Oscars and 1 Chocolate Cichlid is going to cause trouble for at least one of them,
emerald cichlids and Oscars are what i would call Territorial, compared to say a pair of convicts an Oscar is not usually an aggressive fish, but with a Red Devil in the tank, all of the fish will need to be able to hold their own, any that don't could easily be killed.

I think this Quote taken from the internet gives a good indication of the RD
"Devil by name, devil by nature! Red Devils are a highly aggressive Central American cichid, with spectacular coloration and an equally spectacular temper. These fish have a bad reputation in the hobby due to their destructive and extremely territorial behavior."

As for HITH (hole in the head) with Oscars, a simple 'look over' when you get them should suffice, if their are no suspicious looking white marks/holes/entry marks around the fishs faces/heads then they should be ok, HITH is also generally associated with poor water but more likely a poor diet
 
That depends on where the fish came from and how well they were kept. I know my LFS owner personally and I know how his fish are kept and where they came from. I go into his store often and I know when a hobbyist trades in a fish. I simply wait 8 weeks to see if it gets sick, and I buy it if it does not.
 
That depends on where the fish came from and how well they were kept. I know my LFS owner personally and I know how his fish are kept and where they came from. I go into his store often and I know when a hobbyist trades in a fish. I simply wait 8 weeks to see if it gets sick, and I buy it if it does not.

The more I hear,..... The more worried I am...... Should I be keeping ANY fish at all??????
 
That depends on where the fish came from and how well they were kept. I know my LFS owner personally and I know how his fish are kept and where they came from. I go into his store often and I know when a hobbyist trades in a fish. I simply wait 8 weeks to see if it gets sick, and I buy it if it does not.

The more I hear,..... The more worried I am...... Should I be keeping ANY fish at all??????


The reality of it is that you will probably be ok.
 
OK!!!... I do like your Avitar Australian,......But why make me worry like this??
 
OK!!!... I do like your Avitar Australian,......But why make me worry like this??

That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to make sure you had all the information. I'm sorry if I made you worry!

Thanks about the picture. They are such lovely fish.


I fully agree, and the variety is infinite!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top