Arowana Advice Sought

Andypalf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is just an idea and desire I've recently come up with. I've always looked and marveled at these fish when I pop into my LFS and whenever anyone puts new photos of their fish up here.

I currently own a 3ft tank (125 litre) community tank. I know it's far too small to house an adult aro. Would it be possible to keep a juvenile until it grows and then sell it on? How fast do they grow? I have no experience of these fish and apologise if this idea appears wreckless. It's not intended, I'm just trying to find out if it's a possibility for me in the future.

Cheers.

It is possible, but I would not advise it. Arowanas grow extremely quickly, up to about an inch or two per month. You will be looking at at least a 6x6x2 in about 6 months, and an 8x4x2 in about 1 1/2 to two years. So unless you have a larger home already in line for it, I would not do it, seeing that it will outgrow that tank in a matter of weeks.

Ryan

P.S. I am assuming in a silver arowana, as these are usually the ones that pop up in your lfs. However, the requirements will be similar for all species, except a bit smaller of a tank will be required.

I thought that might well be the case. I think it's going to have to remain a project for the distant future when I have the space for a large tank and money to buy it.

Thanks for the advice Ryan.

I have an arowana in my 55 gallon. I have a 600 gallon lined up for it already whenever it's needed. However, I've had im for about 4 months now, and he is 1 inch bigger than he was when bought. Every fish has a different growth rate, just like us. Some will be little fishes and some will be big. However, I have never seen a mall arowana full grown. They are the SUVs of the fish world.

Extremely hardy imo.
Very good fish though.

I have an arowana in my 55 gallon. I have a 600 gallon lined up for it already whenever it's needed. However, I've had im for about 4 months now, and he is 1 inch bigger than he was when bought. Every fish has a different growth rate, just like us. Some will be little fishes and some will be big. However, I have never seen a mall arowana full grown. They are the SUVs of the fish world.

Extremely hardy imo.
Very good fish though.
i think you should move your aro to your 600g already. more swimming space would boost growth rates no doubt and soon enough you'd have a nice sized arowana

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back