Are They Any Good?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Colonials66

Reaction score
Looking into starting life on the saltier side of fishkeeping, and am currently looking at tanks. Are tanks that have a built in sump system at the back of the tank any good? Or is it better to get a tank, drill it and install a sump beneath it? Thanks

I don't own a saltwater tank but I have my tropical tank drilled and everything beneath, its so easy that way.

Your question is in two parts.

1. Are they any good. The answer is yes.
2. Or is it better to have a drilled tank with a sump installed. The answer is yes.

I've had both kinds and by far prefer adding the sump later. I build my own using a tank and some acrylic baffles. I just changed my sump out and really upgraded it. I took two 20 gallon long tanks, drilled them, connected them and made one a 20 gallon refugium and the other houses the returns and skimmer. You can't do this kind of customization with the all-in-one tanks. You can do some, but not to the level you can with a drilled tank. You are also going to increase the overall water volume and that's beneficial. I have a 210 gallon tank and 40 gallons of sump, that extra 40 gallons makes a difference.

So, all in one's are good, but in my experience drilled is even better. Pick the one that will work best for you.

Good.
Here's a great site about sumps I've used over the years. This particular page of it http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/index.html had a most baisc DIY 20 gallon long sump design. You can get fancy or go basic.

Here is a photo of mine unhooked up of course. In the final set up they are reversed with the fuge on the left but in this photo it's on the right.

newsump1.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back