Are These Yellow Panchax?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Biulu

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Commuting between Oaxaca, Mexico and Montreal, Can
So, my lfs did bring in some killies today. He had been talking about a 'red and purple' one, but didn't want to take the risk as 'these little fish are too expensive for their size'. They would have cost around 15 USD each, and he was afraid nobody would want to buy them. I am a bit disappointed about it, but at least he brought something!

So, here are some pictures of them. I think they are yellow panchax as these are most commonly available, but I would like to have some confirmation. Colours are not very clear yet, nor are the pictures as they are still in the bag. I notice that the female (I think so at least) has some white spots on her tail, so it looks I got them with a disease! So, I have put them in a separate tank for the time being.

Here are the pics. Hope somebody can ID them correctly for me. Thanks in advance!

DSC03390.jpg

DSC03388.jpg

DSC03383.jpg

Yeah, they do look like Aplocheilus lineatus. They're not the wild colouration though, neither do they look like gold, yet. Give them some time to settle down and take some more photos to determine the colour form.
Yes do keep an eye on those spots, looking like whitespot. If so, slowly lift the temperature of the aquarium to 80-82'F to speed up the lifecycle of the disease and treat with an over the counter remeady. (carefully read the dosage instructions) If it is indeed whitespot (ich) then adding the water from the bag your fish came in to the aquarium probably contained ich thermonts so keep an eye out for manifestation. But you've done the right thing by quarantining the fish.
Regards
BigC

Some gold developing on the top dorsal fin on one of them, so they look like they might be the gold variety there Colin.

As I noticed it while they were in the bag, I hand caught them, and threw the water down the drain. So nothing came into the tank.
I have noticedthat they both have a white spot on the top of their head. It is a very distinct feature, I think. Anyone knows what this is? I have never seen it with any other fish before!

Some gold developing on the top dorsal fin on one of them, so they look like they might be the gold variety there Colin.
Yeah, seen that Amerce, sure looks like them, as for sexing I'm unsure though.
Regards
BigC

A quick update: the biggest one has definitively developed into a female, as it has a rounded belly (see the bad pics below). The other one hasn't coloured up either, but has a flat body. It might still take time for him/her to develop as it was smaller when I got it.

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

y el otro del sexo indefinido:

DSCF0075.jpg

nice fish! Is it just the picture that makes the fishes back look bent?

That last pic is leading me toward Blue Panchax (Aplochelius panchax)
If they were gold/yellow they would have settled down and be as I said a gold and yellow sheen, I just dont see that there.
Is it too much to ask to send some more pics.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back