Are These Compatible With Goldfish?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gold-Fisher

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon tank with a single little goldfish, I want to add some other types any suggestions, I'm thinking of a single black goldfish, or angel or maybe a beautiful red fighter plus a couple of guppies.

If you are keeping a common goldfish, then a 5gal aquarium is waay to small. Actually, I think for pretty much any goldfish a 5gal aquarium is to small.
They get very big. As for compatibility...any cold water fish. Don't try to add tropical fish, as they will die because of the cold(no heater).

I live in Pakistan, south asia, will heat still be an issue? what fish are suitable for a five gallon tank? maybe i can exchnage the goldfish for other types.

An exchange would be best :good:

Fighters and guppies are a no-no, the fighter will have their talis. Would could go with 5 guppies, or a fishter and mebe some pygmy corries for the bottom. It's a small tank, and there won'tbe may options I'm afraid.
Temperature may still be an issue if it changes quickly, as a small body of water will change temperature about as fast as the air.

HTH
Rabbut

Gold-fisher, you may have trouble keeping gold fish. I am assuming that a water temperature of less than 24 would be hard to maintain unless you have a method to cool the water. Anything much warmer than 24 will be too hot for long term health of a goldfish. In addition, the advice from others here that a 5 gallon is too small is correct, I have never seen a goldfish that could be kept very long in a 5 gallon. It might work for a month or two for a very small goldfish but they do not stay small. An adult goldfish will need at least 20 to 30 gallons just for one fish. You don't need to add another 20 gallons for the second one but also don't want to crowd the fish. If you decide to keep tropical fish instead, you will have an advantage over most of us, you can probably keep a tank warm enough for them without a heater or with a very small heater.

I have a 5 gallon tank with a single little goldfish, I want to add some other types any suggestions, I'm thinking of a single black goldfish, or angel or maybe a beautiful red fighter plus a couple of guppies.
About the only things compatible with Goldfish is Goldfish and Cory's.

About the only things compatible with Goldfish is Goldfish and Cory's.
Sorry to say that a) that's not the best info - only very certain species of corys would be best kept at the same temperature that goldfish would also be best kept, and even then I would very much recommend against it, as being a species of carp, goldfish forage by rummaging around in the substrate indiscriminately, and will eventually manage to get a corydoras stuck in their mouth, which could be fatal to both fish due to the corys spines.

I have personally experienced this with a peppered cory and what was supposed to be a comet goldfish, it resulted in hours of hassle to get the cory out of the goldfishes mouth, and the cory died in the end.

Also, I'm afraid this thread is 2 days off being a whole year old :).

Most reactions

Back