Are These Apple Snail Eggs?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I just bought 2 apple snails, one for each of my betta tanks. I acclimatised them and put them in. Since then, one has been off exploring, but the other has stayed in the same place and these little reddish brown things have appeared around him.

3665849380_66e1604e7e.jpg

He's got his 'head' out of the little trapdoor and has had his horns out, just hasn't gone anywhere yet. I've googled for pictures of their eggs and they don't look like this, so any ideas what they could be? :thanks:

Nope, looks like it's probably just snail poop.

No... Apple snails actually get out of the water to lay their eggs.... mostly found inside canopies & looks like a pinkish cluster of small sago....

Right, so poo then. Great-I bought them to clean up not make more mess ;) :lol:

Apple snails make more mess then they clear up they are not detritvores, just omnivores. Malaysian trumpet snails are the only detritvores I know of and work effectively in my tanks.

Right, so poo then. Great-I bought them to clean up not make more mess ;) :lol:

Thats what most people think. In actuality, if you do not feed the snails there is a good chance of them dieing. They are like fish, they do not eat the poo.

I knew they wouldn't eat actual poo-I have planaria in there and brown algae. That's what I really wanted them to get rid of. While they're eating that, their poo isn't introducing anything new to the tank though. I bought algae wafers for when they've run out of stuff in the tank :)

They are horrible algae eaters. They spend most of their time eating flake off the bottom

i feed mine cooked prawns as a treat they love them have no idea why but they are straight on it once it is in the tank and stay I would imagine munching away for hours.

Most reactions

Back