Are Snails Algae Eaters

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

butler boy

Reaction score
hi i was just won dering do snails eat algae or are they like there to look good. not that i want one its just to increase my knowlegde of fish and other fish related specices :blush: :rolleyes: :shifty: :unsure:

Most common aquarium snails eat algae, there are some snails that don't, but they are pretty scarce and you are unlikely to find one in a store.

Common 'pest' (ramshorn & tadpole) snails eat algae, and so do apple snails - but most people buy apple snails for the looks of them.

There are a few species of apple snails available too, some of the larger species will eat plants as well as algae.

The snail thats usually bought for eating algae is the nerite snail :good: .

You may find this interesting :).

Yes snails will eat algae. Having said that, the best thing you can do to get rid of algae on glass and decorations is done with a sponge or scraper and not by any fish or snails.

I'd disagree with that opinion, personally I think the best way to get rid of algae is to use fish and snails while growing plants.

But that's because I'm really lazy and can't be bothered scrubbing my tank :D.

Yes, snails eat algea and also some junk on the bottom of the tank...like leftover food and algea wafers n such.

I'm becoming fond of bristlenose plecs for their algea cleaning ability. Although I haven't gotten one yet :blush: I've read a ton about them! I do plan on getting 2 albino ones for my 125 gallon tank!

yes, well most of them anyway. my friends got a golden apple snail in her tank called brian and he does a very good jobs cleaning the tank (of course you still need to wipe the tank with a scrapper, snails can't clean ALL of it)

Most reactions

Back