Are my angel fish male and female. One is bigger

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jcowey301

Reaction score
Hi there can anyone tell me if my pair of angel fish are male and female please.

Thankyou

Joshua

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-04-22-01-39-038_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-12-04-22-01-39-038_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 586
  • Screenshot_2020-12-04-22-01-21-106_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-12-04-22-01-21-106_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 48
To sex angel fish, the body line between the pelvic fins and the anal fin are different angles. I can never remember which is which but one has a steeper line than the other. These two fish look almost identical and from memory the flatter line is male. So I'm going to say both male :)

assuming they are mature, they both look like females.
males get a rounded forehead when well fed, females don't

Not all males get the rounded forehead. True, if you see one with a rounded forehead you can be reasonably assured that it is a male. The only way to tell for sure is to observe their breeding tubes.

Not all males get the rounded forehead. True, if you see one with a rounded forehead you can be reasonably assured that it is a male. The only way to tell for sure is to observe their breeding tubes.
The line between the pelvic fins and anal fin is accurate, but you need to have a group of fish. When I bred angel fish commercially we used to put up about 20 pairs at a time and sexed the fish this way we would get about 90% success rate. The stories about angels being in bonded pairs, I don't go along with, we would select the fish we wanted to bred together and away they would go. All the adult fish were just kept in bare 1000 liter holding tanks until we wanted them to spawn, then pairs were moved to 80 liter tanks for spawning.

Most reactions

trending

Back