Are Fiddler Crab Hardy Enough For Cycling?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jlind9669

Reaction score
I was planning on stopping into pet smart in a few days and purchasing some fiddler crabs and zebra danio. I know the zebras will survive but will the crabs? Are Fiddler Crab Hardy Enough For Cycling?

I would advise you to not by any living thing fish, shrimp, or crab. While the practice of using a strong fish to cycle the tanks was used many years ago, I and many others object to the practice. Would you like spending a couple of months locked in your home,packed full of poison ivy, and smoke. The ammonia that causes the cycling hurts the animals similar to what you would experience in such a place. Some of the older members will chime in and be able to expand on what needs to be done to cycle your tank without harm to any living thing. There is a sticky note at the top of the page about cycling a aquarium that explains it very well. So please hold up on getting your pets till they can safely live in your tank.

Short answer, no. Crustaceans are even more sensitive to things in the water than fish are. Any ammonia will probably kill the crabs and harm the fish.

Additionally, fiddler crabs are more sensitive than your average invertebrates in my experience.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back