Are Budgies like dogs?

Pointy_kitty

i eat buttons
Reaction score
i know this is icky but i must find out :blink:
i sexed 4 baby budgies recently and there were 2 male and 2 female
(yes there is a way at that age despite what some people think!!!!) ;)
the oldest baby is just over 5 weeks and its the first on the perches
now the father budgie keeps humping the male baby!!!!!!! :crazy:
is this out of dominance like most species???????????????
is this normal???????? :huh:
all i know is that the minutes he eats on his own i'm removing him from that cage so he's not raped!!!!!!!!!!! :sick:

i know this is icky but i must find out
(yes there is a way at that age despite what some people think!!!!)
now the father budgie keeps humping the male baby!!!!!!!
is this normal????????
all i know is that the minutes he eats on his own i'm removing him from that cage so he's not raped!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't help you I'm afraid but that made me LMAO.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The minute the babies come out of the nest they need to be moved to a different cage or the parents need to be moved. Sometimes the father or mother doesn't get that these are their children and they kill them because they think they are invading their territory and feel threatened. Most of the time it's the father but I've seen the mother do it too! Most of the time it's from a beak in the skull. They really should be moved and if that's not possible make some sort of divider. I know a budgie breeder with over 1000 show birds and that's what he told me. It was cool seeing his house!

Lol, a birds can hump but it's more like a swishy back and forth movement if you really wanna know. :lol: That dominance can lead to worse things.

JobySp said:
i know this is icky but i must find out 
(yes there is a way at that age despite what some people think!!!!) 
now the father budgie keeps humping the male baby!!!!!!! 
is this normal???????? 
all i know is that the minutes he eats on his own i'm removing him from that cage so he's not raped!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't help you I'm afraid but that made me LMAO.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
ME TOO!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A lot of parrots will act out sexually (how can I say this in a nice way? omg)... self pleasure? There I think that will work to explain what I mean - when they reach sexual maturity and cycle through the breeding season. Or- they do it because they discover it and it becomes rather habitual. Most of the time they don't do it to each other. I have never heard of them doing it as a display of dominance... I could be wrong though!
With birds (as far as I know) it's a sexual display. Most of the time they "hump" their perch. You'll see them crouched down on the perch, ummm ... doing it. It's more common in females than males.
Is he really trying to "hump" the baby? Or is he just breast butting him, pushing him off the perch? Does the father have a perch higher up in the cage than the rest? The dominant bird will always perch on the highest branch. It may just be the father asserting himself and trying to get the younger bird to perch lower than he is.

Now - I could be dead wrong here~ that's just my opinion from what I know!

I'd probably go ahead and remove the one that's getting pushed around as soon as you feel he's ready... sometimes the rest tend to follow suit and one bird will end up getting really picked on. I hope that's not the case with your brood

Hope I didn't confuse you! Good Luck

I have an easy way to explain it. My budgie looks at himself in the mirror then goes and humps the bars on the cage. That is how I know it's a swishy back and forth movement. No need to sugar coat it. That's what he does. We're all adults here right? :p I bought him a female and he still humps the bars of the cage. Males are just that way, their not like dominating the perch or the metal cage bars. :lol: Just want some sweet lovin.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back