The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So i got a free 20 gall off my relative

It has 4 pearl gourami and 4 clown loaches in

I want to add my own 2 honey and 2 blue Gourami, as well as 3 albino cory, one small RTS, 2 lonely guppies, one small ram, and my lil betta fish

Would this be alright, or too overstocked, i'd do 50% water changes weekly.

Clown loaches grow far too big for a 20 gallon, they need 75 gallon +

The clown loaches will get a bit too large for that particular tank, i would either get rid of them or get a bigger tank for them.
I also would not put a red tailed shark in there just for the fact that they can become aggressive when they are larger.

yeah i know the tank is too small for the loaches, they are not THAT big at the mo, although the four gourami are fully grown.

at the mo the RTS is very placid, never shown any agression, not even when other fish get his food etc

how big to loaches actually grow?

Clown loaches can get to 14" in aquariums, however usually around 10-12".
wait till the RTS gets bigger, they can become quite aggressive

Just so it does not look like me and Ace Of Spades are giving conflicting info.
in the wild and very large aquaria clown loaches have been known to grow to 24", however in most normal home aquaria setups they vary from 10-16", 16" being the absolute extreme i have heard of.

Well...if i choose to accept the tank, I will most likely advertise the loaches as being free to a good home on this site

And if my RTS gets aggressive when bigger..i'll just stick him in my 30 gall terrapin set up (dont worry...my turtle won't eat it)

well you cant turn down a free tank, I'm sure somebody would want the clown loaches, and hopefully the RTS will stay happy and trouble free. good luck.

hallo guys

I bought a 40 gallon today =)

so i'm upgrading my 16 gall to a 40 and not having the 20 gall

Most reactions

Back