Aquascaping help....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm beginning to understand plants and how to lay them out. I'm getting some more over the next few days and I want to prepare my tank for them, but I need some help on the current layout and what to put where for the backdrop.

Here is what I have and have coming:

Background:
Amazon Sword (large & about 5 small ones) (possibly middle also)
Jungle Val,
Carolina Cabomba (4 shoots)
Red Cabomba (4 Shoots)
Giant Hygro
Tropic sunset (shipped)

Middle:
Amazon Sword - ??
Primrose
Ozelot sword
Lucens (ordering)

Front:
Dwarf Sag
Microsword

Floating / cover:
Ricca

Not Specific:
Java Fern (ordering)
Red Java Fern (ordering)
Java Moss (ordering)

Now, where I keep hitting my stumbles is what to put in front of the filter and then the heater?

Here is the way the tank is currently laid out:

fulltank.JPG

The Variegated Acorus is coming out because multiple places have stated it isn't a true aquatic. Also, both PennPlax baby hideouts are coming out because they are not "natural".

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.....

I'm no expert (or even that good to be honest) but here's my thoughts:

Firstly, if you are interested in a natural look use only a few species of plant. You rarely get great diversity in a small area.

As a general rule, big plants at the back, small at the front. This is a bit of a guide only rather than a rule as moving some larger plants forward will add depth to the tank.

Plants look good in groups made up of odd numbers. Don't know why, they just do.

Never make the setup symmetrical. Focal points are best set at third points across the tank. Move the Amazon Sword over a bit.

I notice an airstone in the tank. This is a sure fire way of reducing your CO2 levels. Stop the airstone, get the plants growing well and they will add all the O2 your fish will need. To do this you need:
1/ Good lighting of the correct spectrum and quantity (a min of 1.5 watts per gallon is recommended) for approx 10 hours per day.
2/ A decent CO2 level in the tank (reduce water surface aggitation and/or get a CO2 kit).
3/ Proper fertilisers (in the aggregate for plants with strong root systems or in the water for others)

As far as hiding the equipment, I can't really help. Obviously the plants in front of the filter will need to be strong enough not to get blown away yet flexible enough not to restrict the flow from the filter (vallis?)

You could try moving the heater to a lower point in the tank and using a piece of stone/bogwood to hide it. Alternatively you could use a shrubby type plant like Hygo. Polysperma. That's a fast growing plant that should hide the heater.

The only other comment I can make is to get a background (possibly coloured card). It'll hide the cables. Dark card will tend to hide the equipment a bit.

For more aquascaping tips try this link..

Link

Hope that helps.

WK

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back