Aquascaper 600

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've also added 2 pots of Java Moss to the wood, to try and compete with the algae that is growing on the upper levels of the branches, I dont know how else to out compete algae at the top?

Floating plants, just temporarily until the algae has dissapated perhaps?

Floating plants, just temporarily until the algae has dissapated perhaps?
I've tried frogbit in the past but the roots kept getting inundated with algae and I was convinced as they moved around the tank I thought they were spreading it to every corner. I might get some more plants to tie to the wood but cant think of anything fast growing that works like that.

I've tried frogbit in the past but the roots kept getting inundated with algae and I was convinced as they moved around the tank I thought they were spreading it to every corner. I might get some more plants to tie to the wood but cant think of anything fast growing that works like that.

Java moss of whichever variety you like are usually pretty fast growing and you can tie those onto the wood.

Duckweed. I know everyone hates on it, but it's incredible. Cleared up a ton of my algae when I got it.

Can you plant anything more tightly around the base of the wood that can swarm around it, like the hygrophila costata in this (G. Farmer's):
Screenshot_20201003_214759.jpg

Can you plant anything more tightly around the base of the wood that can swarm around it, like the hygrophila costata in this (G. Farmer's):

There is quite alot of the Cardamine that is right next to it - like the look of that though. Looks like a step between 53b and Araguia.

Wills

There is quite alot of the Cardamine that is right next to it - like the look of that though. Looks like a step between 53b and Araguia.

Wills
Ah thought that was Brazilian Pennywort. Can the Cardamine be trained to grow around the wood?

Ah thought that was Brazilian Pennywort. Can the Cardamine be trained to grow around the wood?

Ah good idea - yes I could probably do that. I have both Cardamine and Pennywort, I was curious as to the difference as they look the same in pictures but they are quite different in the tank.

Wills

Is that a bad thing? Algae is unavoidable and healthy. It will go where there is most light so will naturally find the roots. My tank (surface area 100x40cm) is covered in frogbit. There is algae in the frogbit but I never see any on my glass, wood or plants. I throw out the excess frogbit weekly which means I am constantly removing algae with 0 effort. And since I have cories and otos they love it up there :). There is considerably less algae in the roots now than when I started.

Is that a bad thing? Algae is unavoidable and healthy. It will go where there is most light so will naturally find the roots. My tank (surface area 100x40cm) is covered in frogbit. There is algae in the frogbit but I never see any on my glass, wood or plants. I throw out the excess frogbit weekly which means I am constantly removing algae with 0 effort. And since I have cories and otos they love it up there :). There is considerably less algae in the roots now than when I started.

I hadn’t thought of it like that when I did have floating plants I didn’t get algae on the glass just everywhere else haha! I might try some salvo is this time tho

Big maintainance tonight - quite a lot of algae but not been able to do a water change this week so reasonably ok with it and I think it has cleaned up well. I have quite a bit of stubborn green fuzz/hair algae on the wood and some of the rocks. I've moved my diffuser to the front left corner under the outlet and powerhead in the hope that I get better distribution, tonights trim should hopefully allow water to move around the scape better too which will help too.

I've ordered a group of blue shrimp and some horned sun snails which should be here Tuesday :)

IMG_1006.jpg

Wills :)

Big maintainance tonight - quite a lot of algae but not been able to do a water change this week so reasonably ok with it and I think it has cleaned up well. I have quite a bit of stubborn green fuzz/hair algae on the wood and some of the rocks. I've moved my diffuser to the front left corner under the outlet and powerhead in the hope that I get better distribution, tonights trim should hopefully allow water to move around the scape better too which will help too.

I've ordered a group of blue shrimp and some horned sun snails which should be here Tuesday :)

View attachment 119304

Wills :)
Wills your carpet is looking great! Huge improvements all round, and I can't wait to see your shrimp :). The hardscape is really coming together now that the plants are more established as well. Nice work :).

Most reactions

trending

Back