Aquascaper 20g

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Some root tabs and regular water changes and the vallis will jungle up in no time

Gotcha, will add root tabs now. Also will start performing more frequent and larger water changes. ?

That piece of driftwood that you see floating, will eventually be incorporated back into the tank. It was the piece that was originally in the 20g, but it lost its “water log” when I took it out to rescape. Trying to water log back up now. ?

—-

Also, with the Vals, how do they make new plants? Two of the shoots you see in the picture were attached under the substrate, which makes me think that they will grow under the sand and then shoot through it in a different location?

Gotcha, will add root tabs now. Also will start performing more frequent and larger water changes. ?

That piece of driftwood that you see floating, will eventually be incorporated back into the tank. It was the piece that was originally in the 20g, but it lost its “water log” when I took it out to rescape. Trying to water log back up now. ?

—-

Also, with the Vals, how do they make new plants? Two of the shoots you see in the picture were attached under the substrate, which makes me think that they will grow under the sand and then shoot through it in a different location?
Correct. Vallis send runners under the substrate, approx 2-3 inches apart a new plant pops up.
I got a bit tired of pulling the ones out that had got in the way 'spoiled' my scape lol so ive replaced all my vallis with crypt crispulata now. Will always have a soft spot for vallis tho, theres nothing like it to create that tall green curtain and flowing canopy

I will also try to get some Amazon swords, but probably from a chain store, because my LFS never has them.
Amazon swords are awesome! I have like 15 of them in my 55 gallon. By "chain store" you mean petco or petsmart right? If you are ok waiting a week or so for them, I would highly recommend ordering online, for several reasons. They send larger plants, healthier plants, snail free plants, and plants that have been grown under water already. The chain stores usually sell theirs in these little tubes and all the leaves fall off when they get used to living under water.

I ordered all my amazon sword through YourFishSuff on Ebay, because they do a Buy 1 get 1 50% off, so I bought 4 and each plant came with 3 individual plant, so I ended up with a massive tank full of amazon sword. But you have to search Echinodorus Bleheri cause they wanted to make it hard on us;)
I assume. They are very similar to dwarf sag and thats how my dwarf sag did it. They send out "runners" under the sand, which then start a new plant that grows its way out of the sand

Correct. Vallis send runners under the substrate, approx 2-3 inches apart a new plant pops up.
I got a bit tired of pulling the ones out that had got in the way 'spoiled' my scape lol so ive replaced all my vallis with crypt crispulata now. Will always have a soft spot for vallis tho, theres nothing like it to create that tall green curtain and flowing canopy
Ohhh, ok.

I added some root tabs to the crypts and Vals.

Another question: Will the plants ‘find’ the root tabs? It seems kind of impossible for the plant roots to be able to find the root tabs. I did put them right at the base of all of them, but still... ?

By "chain store" you mean petco or petsmart right?
Well, there is this place in Lexington that I don’t remember the name of, but it’s along the same lines.

I would highly recommend ordering online, for several reasons
Hm, ok, I’ll look into that! Never ordered online before, but your logic make sense. :good:

Another question: Will the plants ‘find’ the root tabs? It seems kind of impossible for the plant roots to be able to find the root tabs. I did put them right at the base of all of them, but still... ?
In a sense, yes. When the root tab capsule disolves and the nutrients are made available, the ever growing roots of the plants will find them, and probably grow more roots around the area of the root tab.

In a sense, yes. When the root tab capsule disolves and the nutrients are made available, the ever growing roots of the plants will find them, and probably grow more roots around the area of the root tab.
Interesting... ?

Ok, thanks for the information!

——

I will probably add some more white rocks around the tank today. I just wish I had more dragon stone. :sly:

Terrible photos, but here:
A3278E16-BF0C-4832-B4FC-E7164197AF07.jpeg
CE40DB99-A290-4816-93BF-45FB6B1B293F.jpeg
A900A8A4-98A8-4D07-A1D0-6CBFE73B8C3B.jpeg

Driftwood piece finally sank, and I like exactly where it sunk, so I just kept it there, lol. It looks good there!

All the stock is doing awesome as well. I really need more Neon Tetras... (that will have to happen once I get my SW situation covered o_O)

Wow it looks great! Also laughed about the shrimp eating the shrimp pellets ? your plants are growing so well! I cannot wait for my frogbit to look like yours
I actually killed most of the frogbit that I had, because I left it in the unheated 5g bucket to long. ?

But, I do still have a healthy amount in my 10g tank:
07F0D92F-4238-453A-9A8C-CFFCA90D4F83.jpeg

Tank is doing well. Water is a little cloudy, but I assume it’s from the corys stirring up the sand. :no:
4E842AEE-D871-4CD2-9616-17B86B9E1701.jpeg
79F80568-A072-4EAD-A70C-325D87D58117.jpeg

Vals are doing super well! I swear one shoot gre a solid 1.5 inches in a day, it’s crazy!
0B56D46C-B267-47D6-A4AE-C9C205E2738D.jpeg

Crypts are also looking good:
AE54CE55-5B15-4262-9384-D91460174DDB.jpeg

What are those leafy purple-ish? Are they vals? They're shaped like crypts but I've never seen that color
This?
0FA85AD5-CF80-48FE-9A53-4FAF66E0C567.jpeg

Those are Crypts! (A little on the unhealthy side - they definitely didn’t appreciate the move. :no: )

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back