Aquascape Suggestions (Indonesian?)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FingersofFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a new aquarium arriving soon, and I'm keen to do a proper aquascape.

The tank is 125 Litres (33 US Gal) and will mainly house 5 Dwarf Chain Loaches, + Some Rasbora and other (undecided) small indonesian community fish.

The tank will be subdued light, planted with Crypts, Java Fern, Java moss etc. - I may dose ferts/carbon but due to the low light probably not.

Im just asking peoples opinions of a few things:

- What substrate would be better considering the fish and plants, Sand or a proper substrate such as flourite?
- What rocks and wood would be suitable for an indonesian river/lake theme (considering I would be using different levels/creating caves and lots of hiding spaces for the loaches)

Next:

Filtration?

I don't know whether to keep the original filter (a fluval U3) or to upgrade to an external Eheim Classic which would provide much better filtration and possibly allow higher stocking and improve tank aesthetic.

FingersofFish said:
Hi all,

I have a new aquarium arriving soon, and I'm keen to do a proper aquascape.

The tank is 125 Litres (33 US Gal) and will mainly house 5 Dwarf Chain Loaches, + Some Rasbora and other (undecided) small indonesian community fish.

The tank will be subdued light, planted with Crypts, Java Fern, Java moss etc. - I may dose ferts/carbon but due to the low light probably not.

Im just asking peoples opinions of a few things:

- What substrate would be better considering the fish and plants, Sand or a proper substrate such as flourite?
- What rocks and wood would be suitable for an indonesian river/lake theme (considering I would be using different levels/creating caves and lots of hiding spaces for the loaches)

Next:

Filtration?

I don't know whether to keep the original filter (a fluval U3) or to upgrade to an external Eheim Classic which would provide much better filtration and possibly allow higher stocking and improve tank aesthetic.
you could use river sand and fine white sand in tandem as substrates. like you have river sand out in the background and white sand in the foreground

Volcanic rock could do you good. and so can Mopani wood or branchy wood. depends on personal taste but it is better to let them brown the water a bit

For rabsoras I suggest a group of 15 or so boraras brigittae

Keep the fluval u3 since these fish like slow moving water

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back