Aquarium stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tl52505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 37 Gallon tank with 4 black skirt tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis, 5 neon tetras, 2 guppies, and a pleco. I also have an air stone for a 40 gal tank. How many fish can I still put in, or do I already have too much. And for adding more would I just need to add more air, or is it mostly about room. Also I know the pleco will get really big, I’m 16 and my parents will not let me get a bigger tank.

37 gallon isn't a bad sized tank, so no worries there! You can still do a lot with it.

No worries about air. The airstone should be enough. As long as there is surface disturbance to allow for gas exchange, and the temp isn't too high, there shouldn't be a concern about oxygenation.

The total stocking is about a lot of factors - whether the fish need a lot of floor space, like cories (and plecs, and what type of pleco do you have? Bristlenose don't get massive, but common plecos do...if you upload photos of your plec, I'm sure someone here will be able to ID it!), or height, like angelfish; the type of stocking you already have; your filtration, maintenance routine, whether you have a lot of live plants, size of the fish as adults - lots of factors, so try to ignore rules like "1 inch of fish per gallon", because they were really only meant to be a rough guideline, and isn't terribly accurate.

Are you able to test the hardness of your water at a nearby fish store? You can take a sample of water to a store and ask them to test the GH. Make sure to write the number down and let us know what it is, since that can tell us what types of fish will do best in your water. For example, all of your fish prefer softer water (lower GH) apart from the guppies, which need hard water to thrive.
Once you know your GH, you can select any new additions based on which will thrive best in your current water conditions.

But for now, I wouldn't add a new species of fish to your tank. I would get some more black skirts and some more neons, so that they have proper schooling numbers. Theses type of schooling fish really need to be kept in groups of at least 8 (and the more the better, tank size allowing, since they live in groups of thousands in the wild) to keep them happy, and for you to see their full behaviours properly.

Do you have a filter on the tank? What kind? Any live plants?

So in your shoes I would ask your parents to take you to the fish store, take a sample of the tank water with you (and ideally, a sample of your tap water to test separately so you can compare) and ask them to test the GH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Making sure to write down all the numbers for yourself, not just let them tell "it's fine". You need the numbers. Then buy four more black skirts and at least 3 more neons.

Welcome to the hobby! I hope you're enjoying your tank and you stick around here to learn more! :D :hi:

@Byron and @Colin_T any thoughts or corrections?

On the pleco, if it is a species that will attain more than a few inches (the common pleco can get to 18 inches), you would be advisable to re-home it now. It needs space even when growing, not to mention the significant impact on the tank's biological system. Some fish stores will accept "returns," when they know the dilemma. To wait until later to find it another home is to be honest cruel to the fish. It needs space. If the species is one of the 4-5 inch, you are OK.

Agree with others that we need to know more about your water. But as has already been noted, some of the species are shoaling and need more of that species, so that should be the first priority concerning more fish.

And Black Skirt Tetras can be fin nippers, especially in such a small number...but you have another issue likely brewing, and that is the gourami. Sedate or long-fin fish (like the gourami) are not compatible with a fish like the Black Skirt Tetras that will at some point likely find it amusing to nip the gourami's fins. This severely stresses out the fish, regardless of the fin damage issue.

On the pleco, if it is a species that will attain more than a few inches (the common pleco can get to 18 inches), you would be advisable to re-home it now. It needs space even when growing, not to mention the significant impact on the tank's biological system. Some fish stores will accept "returns," when they know the dilemma. To wait until later to find it another home is to be honest cruel to the fish. It needs space. If the species is one of the 4-5 inch, you are OK.

Agree with others that we need to know more about your water. But as has already been noted, some of the species are shoaling and need more of that species, so that should be the first priority concerning more fish.

And Black Skirt Tetras can be fin nippers, especially in such a small number...but you have another issue likely brewing, and that is the gourami. Sedate or long-fin fish (like the gourami) are not compatible with a fish like the Black Skirt Tetras that will at some point likely find it amusing to nip the gourami's fins. This severely stresses out the fish, regardless of the fin damage issue.
I was wondering about the gourami, but I don't know enough about them nor the black skirts to make suggestions there. I'd heard black skirts can be nippy though, and was thinking of the guppies tails...

Th

The black skirt tetras actually do not go after the gouramis. I have seen the gourami going after some of the black skirts tho

37 gallon isn't a bad sized tank, so no worries there! You can still do a lot with it.

No worries about air. The airstone should be enough. As long as there is surface disturbance to allow for gas exchange, and the temp isn't too high, there shouldn't be a concern about oxygenation.

The total stocking is about a lot of factors - whether the fish need a lot of floor space, like cories (and plecs, and what type of pleco do you have? Bristlenose don't get massive, but common plecos do...if you upload photos of your plec, I'm sure someone here will be able to ID it!), or height, like angelfish; the type of stocking you already have; your filtration, maintenance routine, whether you have a lot of live plants, size of the fish as adults - lots of factors, so try to ignore rules like "1 inch of fish per gallon", because they were really only meant to be a rough guideline, and isn't terribly accurate.

Are you able to test the hardness of your water at a nearby fish store? You can take a sample of water to a store and ask them to test the GH. Make sure to write the number down and let us know what it is, since that can tell us what types of fish will do best in your water. For example, all of your fish prefer softer water (lower GH) apart from the guppies, which need hard water to thrive.
Once you know your GH, you can select any new additions based on which will thrive best in your current water conditions.

But for now, I wouldn't add a new species of fish to your tank. I would get some more black skirts and some more neons, so that they have proper schooling numbers. Theses type of schooling fish really need to be kept in groups of at least 8 (and the more the better, tank size allowing, since they live in groups of thousands in the wild) to keep them happy, and for you to see their full behaviours properly.

Do you have a filter on the tank? What kind? Any live plants?

So in your shoes I would ask your parents to take you to the fish store, take a sample of the tank water with you (and ideally, a sample of your tap water to test separately so you can compare) and ask them to test the GH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Making sure to write down all the numbers for yourself, not just let them tell "it's fine". You need the numbers. Then buy four more black skirts and at least 3 more neons.

Welcome to the hobby! I hope you're enjoying your tank and you stick around here to learn more! :D :hi:

@Byron and @Colin_T any thoughts or corrections?
It is a common pleco, and for plants I have an annubia, Java fern, and some other plant that I’m not sure of the name. I’m also soaking a piece of drift wood to add in because I know plecos like drift wood

It is a common pleco, and for plants I have an annubia, Java fern, and some other plant that I’m not sure of the name. I’m also soaking a piece of drift wood to add in because I know plecos like drift wood

Oh no. You really, really should return or rehome the common pleco now, while you can. As @Byron said; "On the pleco, if it is a species that will attain more than a few inches (the common pleco can get to 18 inches), you would be advisable to re-home it now. It needs space even when growing, not to mention the significant impact on the tank's biological system. Some fish stores will accept "returns," when they know the dilemma. To wait until later to find it another home is to be honest cruel to the fish. It needs space. If the species is one of the 4-5 inch, you are OK."

Common plecos really shouldn't be sold in stores to the average hobbyist. There are campaigns for places to stop stocking these monster fish, because most people really cannot provide the kind of home they need. I know that my local stores don't stock monster fish in their tanks, they only special order things like common plecos or red-tailed catfish if the owner requests and has proof they can provide what the fish needs.

Common plecos really need a huge pond. Can you provide that within the next year or so? if not, then the only moral thing to do is return the fish. You cannot provide a massive 100g tank that the fish would still outgrow, and if you keep it in too small a tank, you will stunt it's growth. This affects the fish internal organs, causing health problems and eventually death.
There are many other much smaller pleco species that will be absolutely fine for their lifetime in a 37g. A bristlenose or rubberlip pleco would work.

Regarding the black skirts and gourami behaviour - remember that when you buy fish in a store, that they're juveniles. Once fish reach maturity, their behaviours can change, including becoming more territorial and aggressive.

Since you asked for advice about what other fish you could add to you tank, did you have any specific species in mind that you'd like to get?

Oh no. You really, really should return or rehome the common pleco now, while you can. As @Byron said; "On the pleco, if it is a species that will attain more than a few inches (the common pleco can get to 18 inches), you would be advisable to re-home it now. It needs space even when growing, not to mention the significant impact on the tank's biological system. Some fish stores will accept "returns," when they know the dilemma. To wait until later to find it another home is to be honest cruel to the fish. It needs space. If the species is one of the 4-5 inch, you are OK."

Common plecos really shouldn't be sold in stores to the average hobbyist. There are campaigns for places to stop stocking these monster fish, because most people really cannot provide the kind of home they need. I know that my local stores don't stock monster fish in their tanks, they only special order things like common plecos or red-tailed catfish if the owner requests and has proof they can provide what the fish needs.

Common plecos really need a huge pond. Can you provide that within the next year or so? if not, then the only moral thing to do is return the fish. You cannot provide a massive 100g tank that the fish would still outgrow, and if you keep it in too small a tank, you will stunt it's growth. This affects the fish internal organs, causing health problems and eventually death.
There are many other much smaller pleco species that will be absolutely fine for their lifetime in a 37g. A bristlenose or rubberlip pleco would work.

Regarding the black skirts and gourami behaviour - remember that when you buy fish in a store, that they're juveniles. Once fish reach maturity, their behaviours can change, including becoming more territorial and aggressive.

Since you asked for advice about what other fish you could add to you tank, did you have any specific species in mind that you'd like to get?
I didn’t really have any species in mind, just ones that I could add and how many without overstocking the tank

I was avoiding getting more black skirts because of how aggressive they were, the only reason I got them in the first place is because I had 1 that was about 3 to 4 years old, and decided to get more now that I had a bigger tank and knew they schooled, but I regret it because they are very aggressive.

I was avoiding getting more black skirts because of how aggressive they were, the only reason I got them in the first place is because I had 1 that was about 3 to 4 years old, and decided to get more now that I had a bigger tank and knew they schooled, but I regret it because they are very aggressive.

You would be best to re-home the pleco and the Black Skirt Tetras. The gourami (two?) as well. From your earlier post, the gourami seem to be initiating trouble, and I am wondering if they are the species which can terrorize and kill everything in the tank in time, the blue/gold/3-spot/etc gourami. There is nothing else we can offer to help you here.

You may not see aggression with this or that fish, but the level of aggression is programmed into the species' DNA and in time it will show itself--by which time it is often too late.

We all make similar mistakes, but we learn from them and it is possible to have a peaceful aquarium. :fish:

They'll become even more aggressive in time, especially in with only 4 members in the group...BS need to be in LARGE groups, to spread the aggression

I agree with the above statements, return/rehome both the BS and the pleco, then you will have many more options for stocking

You would be best to re-home the pleco and the Black Skirt Tetras. The gourami (two?) as well. From your earlier post, the gourami seem to be initiating trouble, and I am wondering if they are the species which can terrorize and kill everything in the tank in time, the blue/gold/3-spot/etc gourami. There is nothing else we can offer to help you here.

You may not see aggression with this or that fish, but the level of aggression is programmed into the species' DNA and in time it will show itself--by which time it is often too late.

We all make similar mistakes, but we learn from them and it is possible to have a peaceful aquarium. :fish:
It is kind of like the gouramis are just keeping the black skirts in check, they are not aggressive to any of the other fish and they only really get aggressive during feeding

It is kind of like the gouramis are just keeping the black skirts in check, they are not aggressive to any of the other fish and they only really get aggressive during feeding

The fish species are what they are because it is in their genetic makeup. Whether or not they exercise "x" depends upon the environment and the individual fish. It is always wisest to research the behaviour of a species, and expect the fish acquired will be normal and not abnormal. Sometimes these things suddenly occur down the road, and one wishes he/she had dealt with the pending issues while it was still feasible to do so. We cannot change the genetics of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back