Aquarium Salt

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Suthypie

Reaction score
So, has anyone tried aquarium salt for their tropical tank? Iā€™ve heard good things, and that it can be used for water changes as well as medicating a fish.
But I wonder if itā€™s safe for plecos?? :(

Anyone had any success or tips for using this salt? - API Aquarium Salt is the product Iā€™ve bought

Thanks guys :D

Don't add salt to the main tank, there's not much point to it IMO. Fresh water fish are just that, fresh water. I've used it as a medication but I find it is best used for hatching brine shrimp or adding seasoning to my steak.

Sodium chloride can be used to treat some external protozoan infections in fish, as well as minor bacterial and fungal infections.

The dose rate is normally 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres but you can double that for most fishes, and quadruple it (4 heaped tablespoons for 20 litres) when treating livebearers. However, if treating soft water fishes like Plecostomus you don't go over 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres and only use it to treat diseases.

Plecos did not evolve in brackish water and whilst they tolerate low levels for a short period of time, high levels of salt or prolonged exposure (more than 4 weeks) to salt can damage their kidneys.

I concur with what has been posted. Only use salt as a treatment for a specific disease, when salt is the best option for the disease. Most but not all species can handle this.

NEVER use salt on a regular basis in a freshwater fish aquarium. There is absolutely no benefit, and there is definite harm to most fish species.

Thanks guys. I will be returning the unused aquarium salt, and will be buying pure magnesium sulphate Epsom salt, to give my guppy a soak in. Stomach bloat - Iā€™m fearing dropsy.....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back