Aquarium Ideas

moist

Reaction score
Hey there, im just posting to share my plants for my aquarium and see if there are any objections or flaws. so iv got a 55 gal. tank with a few swordplants, some java fern, and 1 other live plant that i forget the name of. i just added 3 gold gouramis (it was 4 but 1 unfortunetly died, the other 3 seem fine) and an albino african clawed frog. Now my plan is to have pretty much a angelfish tank. So im going to add a red-tailed shark, some sort of oto (ideas?), an eel of some sort (again ideas) and then 7 angels. iv done research and im pretty sure these are all compatible and shouldnt pose a problem. i look forward to seeing ur thots on this. thx

If the fish can fit in the african clawed frog's mouth, they'll become food, just to warn you.
Otto's need to be in groups, of atleast 3 I think it was, so you'll want to add more then 1.
7 angels will be quite overstocked, I would think 4 or 5 would be your limit. You could probably fit 7 angels but then you wouldn't be able to fit any other fish.

Not sure the ACF is the best idea myself.

Can I suggest you go for a rainbow shark instead of a red tail because they are a little less aggressive. The kind of oto you get doesn't realy matter - they all grow to pretty much the same size and none of them are hardy :p. The only real difference is in color pattern. 7 angels is WAY too many. 4 would realy be the maximum you could keep but keep in mind the 3 gouramies are also taking the space the angels preffer to occupy. You may well have to eventualy thin down the number of angels to just one pair. An eel? I can't think of any freshwater eels that won't outgrow the tank AND are peaceful enough to keep with slow moving angels and gouramies and won't eat otos. There are some spiny eels that get to around 8" but I'd think they'd be too aggressive and would likely kill any otos or other small fish. Maybe get some khulie loaches instead - they get to 4" and look like eels somewhat.

Loaches would be good. I second everything that has been previously said, 7 angels is way too many, 4 would be more suitable and you might get a breeding pair. With the 3 golden gouramis, theyre beautiful fish but occupy the same area of the tank as the angels and so you many notice conflict. Otos are great, they're fairly hardy and small growing so a group of 5 for example would be good. I wouldn't get the frog or the eel. Both can be predatory. As for loaches you coulkd get a group of kuhlis for your tank, how about corydoras? Or something like a bristlenose plec? The RTBS could be agressive so something like a orange finned botia might be better.

Hope that helps.
Dman99

mabe take out the ACF because it will limit your staocking...if you really want to keep it get it its own small tank and that might make it much happier too,again i think 4-5 angels is better and i would advise against a RTBS

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back