Aquarium Ideas?

Leedsboi86

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

After the passing away of the fish in my 20G tank I emptied it out and cleaned all the filter etc last.
Not quite sure what to do with the tank though.

Been thinkin of giving it away but not I have started to consider maybe a nice lil community set up?

I will need to buy a heater to go tropical but that won't be a problem.

Maybe like Guppies, Tetras, Platys so theres lots of colour.

I'm not sure though.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

How long did you have the tank? Why did the fish die? Regardless of the fish you have they will always require weekly maintenance, are you discouraged because they died? Experience comes with leaning, don't give up on them if you still want them, as long as you can make the time...

The fish were ill when I got them, I got them from a frield who had them in a tank,
I know about weekly maint etc I kept fish a long time just this has hit me kinda hard that they all died.

No meds worked >.<

Alot of ppl on forum tried to help but nothing worked for them at all and kinda upseting knowing that.

Hence why I am tempted to just give the tank away

Hey everyone.

After the passing away of the fish in my 20G tank I emptied it out and cleaned all the filter etc last.
Not quite sure what to do with the tank though.

Been thinkin of giving it away but not I have started to consider maybe a nice lil community set up?

I will need to buy a heater to go tropical but that won't be a problem.

Maybe like Guppies, Tetras, Platys so theres lots of colour.

I'm not sure though.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

kribs!! kribensis r dwarf cichlids, and fit into 20 gallons. they go w/ bigger species of tetra, but im nawt sure about guppies. i spose they could go w/ platies as long as they dont fit into the kribs mouth. but kribs r fairly peacful, they only get aggresive when theyre mating. u can fit 2 into a 20 gallon, but i sugest only getting 1 so u can hav ur other fish, too. hope this helps! -heart :wub: , ally86ozzy

Sorry to hear that :( I think we've all felt that way at some point, that's normal with anything you're passionate about, and sometimes a break is good. I took a 10 year break then got back into it and I love it more now than ever. But that's a personal decision.

If your starting again have you thought about doing a planted tank. They are alot of effort but really worth it when you stand back and look and the final product, it's something i've always wanted to do but my fish have other plans :D

Dwarf cichlids are meant to be great, never gone there myself but would love to if I had room/time/money to. A nice soft substrate, planted tank, soft water and some rams, kribs, apistos... they will provide heaps of colour.

Or

A planted tank with a mixture of fluorescent tetra - neon, black neon, gold neon, cardinal, glow light - use dark substrate and wide leaf plants to show them off!

The fish were ill when I got them, I got them from a frield who had them in a tank,
I know about weekly maint etc I kept fish a long time just this has hit me kinda hard that they all died.

No meds worked >.<

Alot of ppl on forum tried to help but nothing worked for them at all and kinda upseting knowing that.

Hence why I am tempted to just give the tank away

Hi, Leedsboi86,
just wanted to offer my sympathy.
I'm undergoing the same thing myself with fish that were bought ill, with multiple meds producing little or no effect.
But I'm glad you're reconsidering giving away the tank and filling it with healthy new life instead, as otherwise, in my experience at least, the heartbreak will remain the major associated memory, with no better ones to stand before it and gradually crowd it into the background.

You may well know this, but thought I'd mention in case you don't, and just in case the problem was, as is all-too-common nowadays, mycobacterial-related, that apparently bleach won't kill this organism, but a strong solution of rubbing alcohol apparently will, in sanitizing tanks and equipment.
Personally, I'm using both.

Hey everyone.

Really greatful for all your advice and ideas regarding the tank.

I have already stripped and sterlised the tank with Fizz Tabs, Got them from my LFS and ya basicaly fill tank up put 4 tablets in and they fizz away ya leave them 6 hours.

So just washed it back out and emptied it again.

Looks so bare having it in my living room empty but at the moment I can't buy a heater til end of month.
Until then it's kinda gonna be stuck heh.

Not 100% sure what I'm gonna put in the tank yet.
Kribs do sound cool but I always had a softspot for Guppies.

Want the Aquarium to look alive and full with colour which is why I was thinking of Guppies n Tetra.

Maybe lots of Bogwood and rocks, Always kinda liked that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back