Aquaone Reef 200 Protein Skimmer

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Colonials66

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help me. I've been running an AquaOne Reef 200 tank for probably about 5-6 months now. I bought the set up second hand, it came with a protein skimmer the Aqua One AF-80L. From reading, this doesn't actually seem good enough for the tank. However, my issue is that it has pretty much packed in and am having to remove the whole thing and mess with the impeller every couple of days, or it just stops running. So, I was wondering if someone could point me in the correct direction to what sort of skimmer I should be looking at? Is it a HOB, or an in sump skimmer, or internal skimmer? The tank has the sump built in at the back as opposed to a normal sump underneath. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you want to upgrade the skimmer then you probably have two main types available to you. The first is HOB skimmer and the other is in tank skimmer; both have pros and cons. You will be limited on space with the filter system in the back so might do well to look in to HOB skimmers. I am currently looking too and narrowed it down to deltec MCE 300 or the hydor slim skim. From what I can work out the hydor is quieter but the deltec is more efficient at skimming. 

What a mine field eh? well hope that helps

Kindest regards

Joe

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back