The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mathew1991

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
When I got my tank I was sold aqua care bio boost and water conditioner I know I have to always use the water conditioner do I always have to use the bio boost every water change or do I stop using it now the tank is cycled

No, once you have the right bacteria colonizing a tank you should not need to add more from a bottle. Also, I would bet the bio-boost did little to help with cycling. If it did, you should have gotten your tanks fully cycled in 7-10 days. If you goofed a bit, maybe it takes 14 days.

I have been running 20 or more tanks for the past 15 years. I regularly change water and clean filter media. I have nevr had any cycling issues in any tank once the cycle was cycled. I now cycle filters in a bio-farm rather than cycling tanks.

Just so you are aware of the information. The nitrifying bacteria do not form spores, the reproduce by dividing. And it a acolony of many many individuals which do the work. Every day some individuals die and others are "born." The numbers reemain constant as long as the supply of ammonia does as well.

Basically the bacteria increase their rate of reproduction when the amount of ammonia increases. of course they die back some if the amount of ammonia decreases. The size ot the bacterial colonies in a tank always adjusts to the availability of ammonia. The one exception to this is if the is suddenly 0 ammonia. When there is a lack of what they need in addition, such as oxygen, inorganic carbons and a few another things, they do not die, they sense the absence and they go dormant.

When what they need returns, they wake up and go back to work. As a working colony they can remain viable, but asleep, for between about 6 months to a year. This is a bit of a simplified explanation but it is basically an overview of how it works. There are a number of other variables which can affect this process. For example, if the bacteria are subject to freezing temps. or temps over about 100F for any amount of time, they will die.

Not referring to tank conditions, but to the general science, it only takes one viable bacterial cell out of 1,000,000 to survive and then to start to reproduce and ultimately to build into a large number.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back