Aqua Rays Led Strips

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crazy fishes

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried these new-ish aqua ray strips yet on a reef setup? If so what are they like to use, how much light do you get for your money and any other relevant information will be greatfully received.

Regards

I have a tank running with only these leds.
my first tank though so i have no experience with other lights. MY thoughts are that they are expensive for what they are. But take into account the 5 years warrenty and no bulb changes. I have a couple of softies under them and they seem to love it.
My lfs now has these on their coral tanks and compared to their halides i would say they are brighter. They have 8 strips where they had a 250w halide. I dont have any figures to back that up just looks brighter to me. They switched over because of the rising energy prices and the heat prduced by the MH's. But 8 strips is a lot of £££c compared to the DIY haldie they had before
They do give a great shimmer effect aswel.
I would say optimal set up would be smaller halides with LED's. Then you can cut the halide time down a bit and save by using smaller ones aswel.

Could you not diy your own led strip of leds?

Id brought leds of ebay befor and very cheap for 50+ even 100+ of leds???? sureley the leds in aqua rays are the same led as any other led?????

Id brought leds of ebay befor and very cheap for 50+ even 100+ of leds???? sureley the leds in aqua rays are the same led as any other led?????

I think they are different in energy rating. I remember reading somewhere about it but not entirely sure how what and why??

What about SPS has anyone tested Aquarays supporting these corals????

Regards

There a lot of different LEDs some cost pennys some are £100+ per bulb.

there are a few LED builds that i am following on other sites that seem to be coming along so il keepy ou updated

I dont think many people have had a chance to test LED systems long term to really get a feel for how good they are. I looked into them about 6 months ago and at that stage there was only really one LED unit about and nobody had really been able to check the PAR on it or see how well it performed. Haven't looked at them in awhile though. If anyone does find some good testing or research on them please post it up here because I would be interested to see how they perform.

I have been reading around and according to an electrician and electronics engineer; LEDs are the right way to go but the present technology is NOT as brilliant as people are making out. I was wondering if anyone had video footage or knew where to see video footage of aqua ray LED strips in action. It would be interest to see what they really do instead of opinions :good: .

Regards

i have been very happy with the twin marine white aquarays i fitted to my trigon 190 a few weeks back.

They are not my only source of illumination though.

I use them in conjunction with an interpet 2 x 36watt t5pc using daylight blue tubes.

I also run 2 x 18watt actinic t8's

My actinics run from 9 am - 10 pm

aquarays run 10 am - 8 pm

t5's run 11 am - 7 pm.

I use the t5's to push up the lighting levels for the midday hours.

In the future i will get another twin set of aquarays one white and one blue.

expensive yes but the running costs over a relatively short period of time make sense and soon start to pay for themselves.

Also no bulb changes and 5 year warranty too.

i am happy with mine too. Addind a small halide to them this week though for bright midday light and maybe an sps island later on. But i must admit i think they are overpriced. I have seen on another site some competitor leds yet to be released and they look very good

i'm hoping to get some more aquarays after xmas to replace the t5's i have.

should be able to get them at trade price as well.

probably get a blue strip and white strip.

Wonder when the dimmers for them are supposed to come out?

Hi guys and girls,

Just was going to buy some TMC aqua rays and came across someone who has had a bad experience. The person is the owner of a LFS and he ditched his halides to try the new LED system independently. His tank is a 4 footer and things were fine for a couple of months until the intensity started to fade and realised moisture collecting inside the units. He rang TMC directly and reported this to be told that it is a common problem and they are currently trying to find a solution. He has gone back to the well tested halides with no interest in LED technology until it is developed further.

Interesting eh,?? I am rethinking the whole thing now.

Regards

one of my lfs has them on a 4 foot display tank but with softies in only and about 8 led strips looks good fantastic colours but how they work with sps i have no idea

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back