Aptasia Why is it so bad?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Raki

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok I have a FOWLR and Inverts 125 gallons Now I do not have any Aptasia But on the odd chance I get some on a new piece of LR or with some grundge or rubble why is it so bad? I do have Peppermint shrimp in my tank and I suspect that even if some was brought in to the tank it will never get the chance to thrive.

I guess it's only bad if you have corals ... they sting. I think they are absolutely ugly, but then again, I have corals, so that may affect my view on them!!!

They can also get out of control, they multiply vary fast. In a FOWLR it will limit the caves for your fish and it might kill them if they touch it enough.

Yep very ugly things, when I bought my LV their was about 10 of thoes things, soon enough they started to spawn, lucky I got hold of a peppermint shrimp, he has taken care of almost all including the big ones, only 1 or 2 abouts. Not a chance :D :thumbs:

spanair said:
Yep very ugly things, when I bought my LV their was about 10 of thoes things, soon enough they started to spawn, lucky I got hold of a peppermint shrimp, he has taken care of almost all including the big ones, only 1 or 2 abouts. Not a chance :D :thumbs:
So a peppermint shrimp can get rid of it?? I have one and have read different things about it...I didn't know if I shuld be concerned or not. I too also have a fish only tank with LR. :crazy:

I noticed the thing has gotten bigger and moved to another place on the rock...Should I be trying methods to get rid of it?

Very nasty creatures!!! :angry:

To get rid of them, if you don't want to get a shrimp, you can also use a syringe. Get a clean one (with or without a needle), and fill it full of either extremely hot water or calcium additive. Stick the creature with it, and then inject the full syringe into it.

With the calcium, it is poisoned, and you're fine if it leaks into the water. It's a little bit harder, but it will actually cook the thing.

Hope this helps!

Landlocked said:
Very nasty creatures!!! :angry:

To get rid of them, if you don't want to get a shrimp, you can also use a syringe. Get a clean one (with or without a needle), and fill it full of either extremely hot water or calcium additive. Stick the creature with it, and then inject the full syringe into it.

With the calcium, it is poisoned, and you're fine if it leaks into the water. It's a little bit harder, but it will actually cook the thing.

Hope this helps!
I'd love to see it suffer 8)

But my peppermint has gotten rid of every single one of these ugly things, and I had 10 or more and 2 big ones! :thumbs:

Well I suppose I'll try to get a peppermint shrimp then. I wanted to get some type of shrimp anyway. I have a yellow watchman goby and I wanted to see them interact with each other. this is just another good reason to get one i guess!

So the shrimp EATS these things?

The big thing about aiptasia is that as they move around the tank, every spot they move across will most likely produce another aiptasia. This way they spread very quickly and can take over your tank.

Peppermint shrimp MAY (not WILL) eat the aiptasia. Depends on how large the aiptaisa are, and how many, and how many shrimp and how much other food is around.

If you go the shrimp route, at least oone peppermint shrimp per 10 aiptasia (and if you see 1 aiptasia, assume there are 3 you don't see). And reduce feeding of the tank, to compel it to eat.

Many butterflyfish eat aiptasia -- copperbands are the most popular, but very delicate creatures. Racoons and Pakistani butterflies also eat them.

I killed mine with Joe's Juice, $9 bottle, squirts on the aiptasia and you don' thave to worry about burnign your corals or toher critters with boiling water or direct calcium hits. Also, most people use highly concentrated kalk mixes, not calcium additive. This is the first I 've heard of the additive approach. Interesting. I've also heard of lemon juice working.

ostrow said:
Peppermint shrimp MAY (not WILL) eat the aiptasia. Depends on how large the aiptaisa are, and how many, and how many shrimp and how much other food is around.

If you go the shrimp route, at least oone peppermint shrimp per 10 aiptasia (and if you see 1 aiptasia, assume there are 3 you don't see). And reduce feeding of the tank, to compel it to eat.

Many butterflyfish eat aiptasia -- copperbands are the most popular, but very delicate creatures. Racoons and Pakistani butterflies also eat them.

I killed mine with Joe's Juice, $9 bottle, squirts on the aiptasia and you don' thave to worry about burnign your corals or toher critters with boiling water or direct calcium hits. Also, most people use highly concentrated kalk mixes, not calcium additive. This is the first I 've heard of the additive approach. Interesting. I've also heard of lemon juice working.
What is Joe's Juice, and where can I find it?? :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back