Apple snails in the UK (or most of it)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
There was a post a few days ago saying that shop has listed apple snails as being available again. I have just found an article confirming that importing and spreading of apple snails is now legal again in all the UK except Northern Ireland (because it has a border with an EU country) The reason appears to be that Defra has decided to deregulate a number of plant pests that are not deemed to be a risk to plants in the UK.

I must confess to being very surprised that any government could act so quickly :oops:

There was a post a few days ago saying that shop has listed apple snails as being available again. I have just found an article confirming that importing and spreading of apple snails is now legal again in all the UK except Northern Ireland (because it has a border with an EU country) The reason appears to be that Defra has decided to deregulate a number of plant pests that are not deemed to be a risk to plants in the UK.

I must confess to being very surprised that any government could act so quickly :oops:
Apple snails and "mystery" snails are not the same thing, if I'm not mistaken...have mystery snails been allowed there?

Apple snails are what we call Pomacea snails. The most common in the UK before the ban were brig apple snails, Pomacea diffusa, though cana apple snails, P. canaliculata, were also sold, and some of the other species were occasionally found.

I never came across the term 'mystery snail' here. Only 'apple snail'. I had to ask on the forum once what these mystery snails were :lol:

Apple snails are what we call Pomacea snails. The most common in the UK before the ban were brig apple snails, Pomacea diffusa, though cana apple snails, P. canaliculata, were also sold, and some of the other species were occasionally found.

I never came across the term 'mystery snail' here. Only 'apple snail'. I had to ask on the forum once what these mystery snails were :lol:
Here's a bit of info

The article says mystery snails are Pomacea diffusa, which used to be called P. bridgesii, and we called them brig apple snails from the old name.

Your article does say
To start with, technically, all Mystery snails are also Apple snails. The Apple snails are a huge family, with many different members.

It's another case of different names in different countries ;)

The article says mystery snails are Pomacea diffusa, which used to be called P. bridgesii, and we called them brig apple snails from the old name.

Your article does say

It's another case of different names in different countries ;)
At least we spell them the same.... :p

i hope mine are all one species...
or they might not breed. (i couldnt get them to breed for some reason)

You might have all males or all females......

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back