apple snail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

reddeerhobbiest

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my apple snail has been pulled into his shell and laying upside down on the bottom for a few weeks. he responds when i take him out and touch him. what is he doing? is he ok?

How is your snail? Sorry I couldn't answer your question, my Apple snail has never done that. Sometimes she is quiet and inside her shell for a few hours but not for longer than that. I have been told that it is a she because she climbed out of the tank a couple of times and that's what females do to lay their eggs. She is on her own snail-wise. The tank has a hood but she got out of a very small hole, I taped some mesh over to stop her. Hope your snail is ok. :)

;) When i fist got my apple snails they stayed inside there shells for days and i got worried as they didnt come out.

thing was when i got up in the morning the shells ahd moved position (does yours do that) and then a couple of days later they were up and about all the time.

sometimes i come home and one off my snails is floating about at the top of the water inside there shell, again i worried the first time but when it was ready it came out and sank to the bottom and fed happily.

if you look at the shell carefully you should be able to see movement from the inside, and if you can see movement i wouldnt worry and just leave it be.

Sometimes mine lands in a plant and stays in it's shell and you think it can't have meant to do that. :D I have often thought it is dead but then it moves !

thanks for posts, but within a week of each other i lost both of my snails.(in different tanks too) :-( its the weidest thing, and the one snail had just laid a clutch so i assumed she was doing great...better luck next time.

DannyBoy17 said:
Mine have NEVER left thier shells! Ive heard they die if they do?

--Dan
I don't think anyone here said their snail left their shell-or did they? Maybe I missed something. I'm pretty sure that you're right, they would die.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back