Apistogramma / water changes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Seriously fish says large water changes are best avoided with 10-15% weekly adequate for Apistogramma's.

Is this right? I normally change 50-75% on my tanks:dunno:

Seriously fish says large water changes are best avoided with 10-15% weekly adequate for Apistogramma's.

It depends upon the situation, and every aquarist will have differing parameters for their source water. In my case, with very soft water, I can easily do 70% water changes on my tanks which are stocked with very soft water fish and they will thrive. Not everyone has this ideal, particularly if one has to prepare water to begin with. Where parameters are reasonably identical between tank and source waters the more watch changed the better for the fish.

I never had an issue changing 50-80% of the water in my Apistogramma tanks. I made the water up a week before using it and it had the same pH, GH and KH each week.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's :good: i dont think i would feel comfortable only changing 10-15% weekly. Dont think thats enough imo

Where are the pics then? What did you decide on in the end?

Where are the pics then? What did you decide on in the end?
Not added anything yet to the new tank, its cycling atm.

Ive messaged my LFS today to check on availability on the apisto's and Cacatuoides seem more regularly stocked than the Borelli but ill see what they have nearer the time.

I think im going to add a group of black Neons first so the Apisto's feel more secure when i introduce them to the tank.

Do you think this is ok or would the apisto's be better going in first?

Apistogramma cacatuoides are much more colourful than A. borelli, and you can buy female cacatuoides but you are unlikely to find female borelli.

Keep the Apistogrammas on their own and let them breed a few times, then add black neons if you want to.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back