Api Test Kits

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lunar Jetman

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea on the life of the API test kits? Previous non API kits I've had in the past did have expiry dates but there are no expiry dates on the API one I have, only batch numbers.

I wondered that so I asked the guys who sold it to me and was told :  --
Look at the lot number on the top of the bottles and The last 4 digits are the month and year of production, so say it has 0412 as the last 4 digits it would mean it was made in april 2012.

Not sure how long they actually last though but was told anywhere from 1-3 years

Thanks.

Just found is on the API website:

"Each bottle of reagent has a Lot # printed on the bottle towards the top. The last four digits of this Lot # are the month and year of manufacture.

Ammonia, nitrate, and high-range pH test reagents will last 3 years from the manufactured date.
Nitrite test reagents will last 4 years from the manufactured date.
Low-range pH test reagents will last 5 years from the manufactured date.

How long the test bottle lasts once it is opened depends on individual circumstances, but as a rule bottles should be discarded within 12 months of opening."

I'm guessing that since I bought mine a few years ago that they're a tad out of date now.....

I had this exact issue too - to be safe I bought a whole new set that now have the expiry dates printed.

Checked my bottles and they're all dated 2005!!!

Have to say I have a newer PH bottle from earlier this year which registers the same results as the 2005 bottle though.

I don't believe the ammonia test lasts 3 years, one of the bottles containes chlorine which evaporates. I'd say it's closer to 1 year for that test at least.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back