Api master test kit

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elephant nose 4

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi, when you test your water with the api do you hold your tubes on the white card or slightly away? I've been having this conversation with my husband and we both do it differently.
Just wondering what you all do?
Thank you

I touch the tubes on the white card but my husband sits the tube slightly forward from the card, and I've heard a lot of mixed reviews

What I normally do is I use the same place to look at the results every time.

In my case I use the under unit light in kitchen for this, because this will consistently give me the same light conditions every time I look at test results no matter the weather or time of day is.

If you use a window and natural daylight, one day it could be nice and sunny and that will give you good colour results but if it’s overcast or raining the test result may appear differently due to the darker light conditions. Perhaps you may test in evening and using the lounge or kitchen light on then that will also what appears to be differing test colour results

I use my own DIY test tube rack and put a white sheet of paper or the test card behind the test tubes and sit on kitchen worktop directly under the light unit.

Here is a pic or to show you an idea.
Sorry pics are not best quality!

Ignore the test results as these were taken at different stages when I was cycling various tanks!

621C79C8-F561-4ED6-93A8-8D643B6A674A.jpeg28D52D64-6F7B-4776-A61B-5016CB3E5668.jpeg

Ch4rlie thanks that's exactly how far my husband sits our tubes as well as he says he gets a better reading. Very helpful thanks again

I hold it at a window with some nice dimmed light coming through and hold the color card next to it to see...

I have found that the color code chart on the card included with the kits can fade over time...and the color shades can even vary, from kit to kit.

I use this instead, and hold the TTs up to my PC monitor to compare results: https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html

Scroll down the page for the various tests.

I find a few mm hovering in front of the card seems to eliminate confusing reflections, but it all depends on the lighting being used.

I find a few mm hovering in front of the card seems to eliminate confusing reflections, but it all depends on the lighting being used.
...And the eye (sight) of the beholder.

I have found that the color code chart on the card included with the kits can fade over time...and the color shades can even vary, from kit to kit.

I use this instead, and hold the TTs up to my PC monitor to compare results: https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html

I would have thought that colour shades can vary even more on a screen then a printed card unless you have spent a lot of time calibrating? Out of all the screens in my house (including phones) I doubt any of them display a single colour exactly the same.

Edit. Then again it probably doesn't matter as long as the readings that count are zero and you are testing the rest in a consistent manner.

Hi, when you test your water with the api do you hold your tubes on the white card or slightly away? I've been having this conversation with my husband and we both do it differently.
Just wondering what you all do?
Thank you
I do mine slightly away, the 3 tubes to the left of the chart, against a white background. It’s actually a white lid to a box. Either way works.

By the time mine would fade, I’m on another kit with new cards. But have noticed no fading on my oldest ones.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back