API gH test confusion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I tried to test the gH levels in the water in my 90 gallon today, but I'm having some problems with the test. It says to count how many drops of reagent turns the water from orange to green.
The water I use in the 90 gallon is 6.6 pH, and unknown hardness.
The water from my tap (that I use for my Multis) is 8.0, and somewhere around 120-140 ppm hardness.
The first drop turned the water yellow. The second turned it lime green. The rest of the drops just made the green darker. There wasn't any bright orange or deep green colour, like in the instructional videos I watched. Does this just mean it's just soft water?
The test expires 1/2017, is it possible it's gone out of date?

I use this test, and once you see green, that is the number. So in your example, 2 drops turned it green, so the GH is likely around 2 dGH. This equates to approximately 35 ppm. The test uses dGH, each drop being 1 dGH.

As for the expiry...this may occur. When I got my second kit, I was astounded at how vibrant the colours were, compared to the older one, and much easier to read. Not sure if this was due to age, but if you do regular monitoring of GH/KH it might be good to get a new test. But I wouldn't think any test with a January 2017 expiry will be bad that quick.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Back