Anyone Here Running A Hydor Slim Skim Skimmer?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Funkoid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been running a hydor slim skim unit purchased from http://www.reefstore.co.uk/ for the past 7 months without issue. I've woken up this morning to find that its no longer running after only 7 months :no:

I've taken it out, had a look and given it a good clean but still nothing :cry:

Pre-emptively I dropped reefstore.co.uk an email along with hydor to find out where I stand regarding replacement parts (I'm presuming the motor has gone?) but I'm not too confident having tried to contact Hydor's UK division today to find the number is out of service :(

Any ideas? I'm panicking about getting it sorted as I've had to put in the old buyo-jad ebay jobby I had running for a few weeks and in all honesty it did a 10th of the job with a 5th of the stock :(

Anyone know what I can do?

I've got a slim skim nano, but I've not even installed it yet. Yikes! I wonder if you can see if anybody else has had problems. When I first started they had just come out with it. I bet in some of the major retail sites, they'll have quite a few reviews by now. Maybe you can see if this has happened to other people, or if you are just unlucky and got a bum skimmer.

L

i hate bum skimmers. :lol:

:blush: sorry haha, i dont even know why im in this bit of the forum.

I bought a hydor slim skim for my new tank and I HATE it. It collects goo OK, when it runs, but it keeps falling apart.
It ran fine for a few weeks, then it was tricky to get the cup in, as if it had deformed. The motor seems to drop off the bottom easily - into the sand which gets stuck to it. I have to drag it all out and clean it. Its fiddly getting the motor to click into the holder. Then sometimes the motor just stops. You try to get it going, and it falls off again.
Arg. I am going to replace it. I am looking for a small external (my tank is 200litres).
At the moment my vote is leaning toward the MCE300.
I dont want to go for another internal as it seems to be a hassle getting them in and out if you need to maintain them - but perhaps a more sturdy internal? TUNZE 9002?

Great, seems like I'm going to have a bear of a time selling my unopened one if the reviews are so poor right now. :grr:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back