Has anyone seen anything like this before?

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So my brand new female platies (bought Wednesday) gave birth over the course of Thursday night into this morning (Saturday). My white calico redtail (Tula) gave birth prematurely, so most of her babies died, but I was able to find and save 7, all of which are still alive as of this post. They are currently 1 1/2 days old, with their egg sacs slowly becoming smaller. My bumblebee (Jazz) started dropping yesterday evening. I was able to find and save 10 before I had to go to bed. I came down this morning and there were a TON more fry popping out of the substrate. I believe I was able to find and save around 10-12 more this morning alone, two or three of which unfortunately died after being put in the fry trap. There is one of Jazz's babies that is deformed, with its tail bent in towards its side and a round body, but it survived the night and is attempting to swim so I have hope for it.
BUT!
There is one (actually, two!) fry that are joined at the belly! Conjoined twins, baby fish style. Both are still alive, flicking their tails and zooming around the fry trap. How unusual is this? Any clue what their chance of survival is? There are 4 babies that if they survive I'm going to keep, including the conjoined ones, the deformed one, and one of Tula's babies that is very tiny. I won't saddle anyone else with fish that might have health issues as the grow up if they survive.
But look at this! I think it's so cool B-) The stuff by them is food that I've seen some babies nibbling off of.

IMG_20211127_105802__01.jpg
IMG_20211127_105802.jpg

Also, would they be ok in a half gallon tank until they are big enough that they won't get eaten? I'll get them a heater and do a water change with a turkey baster every day so the ammonia doesn't build up. I just think the fry trap is severely crowded.

leave them where they are for at least 2 weeks

if you move them to another tank, make sure it has an established filter otherwise they die form ammonia poisoning

leave them where they are for at least 2 weeks

if you move them to another tank, make sure it has an established filter otherwise they die form ammonia poisoning
Ok, thank you Colin. What do you think about the conjoined twins? what's their chance at survival?

Ok, thank you Colin. What do you think about the conjoined twins? what's their chance at survival?
i think there’s a very little possibility the conjoined babies will survive. i’m sorry. but i agree with colin, keep the babies where they are. maybe add more plants if you think there’s not enough hiding spots.

I know they may not live long but that is still so cool! Congrats!

i think there’s a very little possibility the conjoined babies will survive. i’m sorry. but i agree with colin, keep the babies where they are. maybe add more plants if you think there’s not enough hiding spots.
What if they're only attached by the egg sac? when it gets absorbed, will they come apart?
(edited to fix grammer)

No idea about the twins, they would normally be eaten. Leave them be and see what happens. If they are joined at the yolk sac they might come apart. If not, photograph and video it for science.

So my brand new female platies (bought Wednesday) gave birth over the course of Thursday night into this morning (Saturday). My white calico redtail (Tula) gave birth prematurely, so most of her babies died, but I was able to find and save 7, all of which are still alive as of this post. They are currently 1 1/2 days old, with their egg sacs slowly becoming smaller. My bumblebee (Jazz) started dropping yesterday evening. I was able to find and save 10 before I had to go to bed. I came down this morning and there were a TON more fry popping out of the substrate. I believe I was able to find and save around 10-12 more this morning alone, two or three of which unfortunately died after being put in the fry trap. There is one of Jazz's babies that is deformed, with its tail bent in towards its side and a round body, but it survived the night and is attempting to swim so I have hope for it.
BUT!
There is one (actually, two!) fry that are joined at the belly! Conjoined twins, baby fish style. Both are still alive, flicking their tails and zooming around the fry trap. How unusual is this? Any clue what their chance of survival is? There are 4 babies that if they survive I'm going to keep, including the conjoined ones, the deformed one, and one of Tula's babies that is very tiny. I won't saddle anyone else with fish that might have health issues as the grow up if they survive.
But look at this! I think it's so cool B-) The stuff by them is food that I've seen some babies nibbling off of.

View attachment 148865 View attachment 148866
that is sooo cool!!!!!!!

make a youtube video and title it properly and you may get 1M hits!

Last edited:
My word, those babies are even more preemie than Tula's! I doubt any of them survived. Mine aren't attached quite that dramatically, but they could have looked like that when they were being developed.

Most of the time when you're dealing with conjoined twins in livebearers, one will grow up normal while the other one stays very small. But in your case, those two are already the same size. But it can still happen that one of them will grow up normal while the other one stays small. So, give it time. In case, of a difference in size later on, such a twin will mostly survive.

Unfortunately, this morning "Duce" as I had dubbed them, passed away :( I'm sad, but not surprised as I knew their chances were slim. Farewell little buddies, you were super cool and I'm glad I got to see you for the little time you had.

IMG_20211129_131854329.jpg
IMG_20211129_132040589.jpg

Most reactions

Back