Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions about these items if you own them
1. Marineland hot magnum 250 gph canister filter
2. Aqueon 150 watt pro heater
3. Marineland bio-wheel filters

These I just want approval on
4. Putting a 200 gph filter on a 10 gallon tank
5. Putting a 100 watt heater in a 10 gallon tank

6. Is there any good filters around the 10-60 dollar area. I'm looking around the bio-wheels, externals, and canisters. (are canisters and externals the same?)

I personaly like the HOB filters or fluval ones

Yes it is fine to put something with 200GPH in a 10 gallon, just turn down the flow if you don't have fish that love current

It is fine to use a 100 watt heater in a 10 gallon, my dad does it and his tank is at a steady temperature of 78

Unfortunately I've never owned any of those items but I havnt heard anything other than great comments about them, though

Hope I helped!
Good luck!

Yeah thanks sadly my 200 gph filter has no adjustment thing but it doesn't have too much force since I stuffed it with media!

Well if I get the hot magnum 250 gph filter it'll go onto my 30 gallon along with my new heater then I'll send both my 30 gallons heater and filter to my ten gallon and send my heater and filter from the 10 to the 8.

oh and to answer your question I'm having some trouble deciding but for my 30 I'm going to do this I think
2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
5 platy fry (may be rehomed in the future but staying for now)
4 cherry barbs or 6-8 harlequins (lowered because of the fry, also could I do 2 cherrys and 6 harlequins?)
6 corys
2 bn or 3 otos (I wanted to attempt to breed these guys)

Then once I'm done with it the 8 gallon qt will be
5 kuhlis
maybe a betta or a dg
if dg maybe 2-3 guppies too

And the 10 gallon will most likely be a breeder for a while
And the 5 should stay right where i is with 1-2 more endlers :good: Hope I ansered your question lol :look: :good: :hyper: :rolleyes: :shifty: :sly: :hey: :lol: I'm being emoticon happy lol :) :D

After this splurge I think I'm done spending my money on fish for a while. After I restock and stuff and do this I'm giving myself $100 until October so from May until October I will only spend $100 on fish. lol I've spent wayyyyy too much since this Summer. Spent all my profit from my business lol. But you know if it's what you love you gotta do it so you know.

I bought a bio-wheel 300 from my 29 gallon tank a few weeks ago. I think it works really nice. I have 4 angelicus loach and 2 golden gourami. I changed from a really dinky cheap filter and just put the whole filter cartridge from my old one in. I've had no ammonia or nitrite spikes after installing the filter. Two things I will say about it, it's makes a trickling sound that would be annoying if in the wrong room, and the pickup tube is really ugly and thick. There's also no flow adjustment.

6. Is there any good filters around the 10-60 dollar area. I'm looking around the bio-wheels, externals, and canisters. (are canisters and externals the same?)

Also if I got the marineland penguin 350 gph could I get this stocking:

2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
6 cherry barbs and/or 10 harlequins
8-10 corys
2 bn or 3 otos (I wanted to attempt to breed the bns)

instead of
2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
4 cherry barbs or 6-8 harlequins (lowered because of the fry, also could I do 2 cherrys and 6 harlequins?)
6 corys

because of the higher filtering (almost duble)

I have a marineland 350 biowheel on my 46g and while my tank is clean the filter media gets complicated. Its hard to get the filter floss alone to stand up in it, so I had to rig something...The carbon cartridges that you take out have a piece of plastic backing so that makes them stand up. Since the carbon isn't needed, the filter floss alone just flops over.

Also if my power goes out I'll be screwed because the biowheels will dry up, unless I'm home to spritz them with a spray bottle or something....just plopping them in the tank could kill the bacteria since it isn't usually fully submerged.

I will use the filter till it dies, but I'll be replacing it with a canister filter at that point. If you are in the US try checking petsolutions online...filters were the cheaper there then anywhere I've seen right now.

Oh and I have a rena filstar xp3 on my 75g, and though I'm still cycling, I can already see the benefit of a filter outside of the tank. The cloudiness form my sand cleared right up, and the tank looks nicer without a bulky thing hanging on it :)

I think sometimes the bio-wheel filters are misunderstood. I'm pretty sure the bio-wheel isn't where ALL the bacteria live. Bacteria love oxygen. The air has more oxygen than the water so they populate quicker on the moving bio-wheel. The filter cartridges in the back receive a higher concentration of ammonia and just as much live in the cartridge as any other filter. The wheels just help with extra scrub and allow for a much shorter cycle time. But I guess I will find out for sure if my power goes out.

I agree that the bacteria doesn't ALL live in the wheel. I threw extra sponges in and moved one into my 10g and it was instantly cycled and cleared out the ammonia from my tap water in 12 hours...but when the power goes out the filter drains. So even the cartridges are sitting in air. Have you ever looked in the back when you have the filter turned off?

I think this filter works great at cleaning my tank. But I wouldn't buy one again.

Well here my power rarely goes out maybe twice a year at the most for like 1-2 hours once was 4 1/2 hours but usually between 15 minutes and 2 hours so I think I'll be fine on that aspect just wanna know opinions (thanks btw I'll put that into consideration but I know how I could get it to stand up and I've got tons of media) and if I got this if I could do my desired stock.

Also if I got the marineland penguin 350 gph could I get this stocking:

2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
6 cherry barbs and/or 10 harlequins
8-10 corys
2 bn or 3 otos (I wanted to attempt to breed the bns)

instead of
2 bolivian rams
4 mollies
2 platys
6 corys

because of the higher filtering (almost duble)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back