Anyone Got Sky+?

We paid the £98 up front for the two boxes.

The £10 per month subs thing is only if you do not subscribe to one of the World packages. If you do (most people do) you don't have to pay the £10 per month. If you are getting it for movies then it is almost certain you will have a world package and therefore no extra cost per month.

Timmystood - Sky+ is no extra money per month than "normal" Sky if you have a world package. I can only assume that you didn't.

What I will say about the phone line though is that one of our boxes was disconnected for three weeks due to a fault and I received a letter from Sky telling me that I had to connect it to the phone line or they would charge me the full subscription for that box so I would be careful about not having a BT line for Sky+. As Wolf said it is part of your contract.

The phone line is also so they can do updates to the system and if it is not plugged then it may miss necessary updates to the system. Also if you phone them for any reason they always try to "ping" your box in my experience so if it is not connected not sure what they do.

EDIT - Ami, I also meant to say that if you switch to Sky you can take up an option to join Sky Talk (I think thats what it is called) and it means you keep your BT line and are billed for the line and any extras you have but you are billed for your calls through Sky. I never use my land line for calls so have no idea if it is cheaper but my dad works from home and uses it all day and he reckons it is loads cheaper and has saved loads since having it. I guess (I don't know though) they introduced it because people had to switch from NTL and other phone providers to have Sky installed.

Interesting......

Says on the site £89 for multi-room, plus your subs plus £10 pm. maybe it's busted, I'll give them a call I reckon...

I think with all your help guys that I've actually managed to persuade him to at least consider it!

Although, I'm sure he thinks I just want it so I can have mutli-room and never have to go offline to watch a programme again! :lol:

EDIT

Just called Sky and you don't need a BT phone line - just an active line that can accept incoming and outgoing calls!

Okay. NTL - Unlimited 2mb Broadband and Talk Unlimited (means you get free evening and weekend calls plus discounted mobile rates) is £32.99 pm, the Sky+ (4 packs + movies + multi-room) is £45 pm = £77.99pm - which is only £17.99 more than now so if we cancel our blockbuster subs it'll be the same price!
Yeah
:D

Just to clear this £10/mth issue up:

Sky+ costs £10 per month on top of your subscription unless you are on a "world" package, can't remember which ones as I'm on the top one so it's not relevant to me.

Multiroom, which is where you get 2 boxes fitted and can watch different programs on each (be it normal sky or sky+) costs another £10. If you have multiroom, you need to pay this irrespective of which package you are on.

If you have multiroom, with 2 sky+ boxes, you can record 4 programs at once (and really ought to get out the house :lol: ) or if you have just upgraded, you can have your old sky box in another room, but of course it doesn't record etc.

Arfie

The world packages are ones including either movies or sports!

Now hubbie is almost convinced, but he's backtracking cos he doesn't want our house to look pikey with cables hanging down it!
:grr:

The dish would go at the back and the living room is at the front, so what's the most likely route to the tv spot by the front window?

"what's the box on the back of a satellite dish called?"

"what's the box on the back of a satellite dish called?"

you mean the one on the arm at the front?
that is a called a LNB (Low Noise Block)

:lol: Woolfie, it's a joke you obviously haven't heard!

In keeping with my hubby worrying about us looking like pikeys, the answer is "a council house"

Which has a ring of truth cos I was bought up on a council estate and we could always tell which houses were still council owned because of the satellite dish outside.

For my family, the ultimate status symbols in order were: having a video, having a home phone, having a car, having satellite.

They only just got Sky 2 years ago and were cut off not long after when my Dad lost his job again, so it didn't last long!

Hope no-one is offended, cos it's still true and funny!
:p

With the wiring, they will nail it around the outside of your house, but what I did was I went into the loft and the Sky installer pushed the cable through to me, I then trailed the cable through the house, where the old ones had been. He then attached it at the other end, all neat and tidy :nod:

Arfie

Hmmm.....that's a good option then. I'm sure he'll still moan but I've already pointed out that there's an ariel cable hanging down there that doesn't even get used!

Woohoooooo!
:fun:

I am soooooo excited (big kid that I am) because 1) hubby agreed to Sky 2) I've just ordered and handed over my pennies and 3) it's getting installed on Saturday!

Yeah! :lol:

Now I just have to phone NTL and say i want to downgrade and hope that they don't make me pay money or have a notice period for it.
:p

Okay, just cancelled my NTL TV and they made it very easy by not even asking why!

I have to wait 30 days apparently and then someone will come collect my box, but I will get a credit on my bill for what I haven't used and that's it.

Roll on Sky+!
:D

Just an update, if anyone cares!

The Sky installation man called me at 7.55am on Saturday morning to say he would be here in 30mins. I'd only gone to bed at 4am so was tempted to cancel the whole thing!

He couldn't put the cables through the attic cos the over hang from the roof is too much appparently and then spent an hour trying to drill a hole through to our kitchen, then through an old chimney breast and then another through to the livingroom. There's now plaster cracks everywhere, but hey, the price you pay for Sky.
:lol:

I managed to get to watch Planet Earth and Casualty before coming back online again, but when I tried to turn the Sky on this afternoon, I discovered that there was no power to the box. Changed plugs, changed fuse, changed cable etc but to no avail.

I am now watching NTL and waiting on the Sky man coming out on Tuesday to fix it, so that'll be a day of holiday wasted for me.

And needless to say, hubby is not impressed!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back