Anybody else got a cory like this?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
One of the albino bronze cories in my 2.5 gallon with Jack, has a unique and adorable behavior... :D

She (I think it's a female)... goes to the top to eat betta food, whenever I feed him! Once a day, every day, she comes flying up to the top as soon as the lid is opened... and then starts bubbling and sucking until a piece of food comes her way. *suuuuuck... chomp.... search for more!*

It's hilarious... I think she thinks she's part betta. :lol: :wub:

Psh.. not like she doesn't get plenty of shrimp pellets and algae wafers too, fatty! :rolleyes:

Anybody else got cories with crazy behaviors like this? :thumbs:

No but I do know Cories frequently come to the surface for air to help aid in their digestion.

Yeah from time to time i have some in the past that learned when feeding time was and would go to teh top, I got one now starting to do that. They arent crazy they know where the food is :p

Haha yeah they know where food is! I just find it hilarious that she would rather eat from the top, than from the bottom - where she is supposed to! :lol:

Teelie - I actually thought that's what she was doing at first, but after watching her closely, I'm sure she's not. It's a completely different behavior.

Hi juliethegr8t :)

Aren't corys wonderful! :wub:

I've seen my bettas acting like corys, but I never saw a cory try to imitate a betta! It must be so funny to watch. :rofl:

As much as you all think it is cute for the cory to eat from the top or middle. This could be sign of that they are not getting enough share of food. This behavior is adoptation of survival for the cory. If there are not enough food reach to the bottom for the cory to eat normal way which is foraging the substrate, the hungry cory have to come up to the middle or top to get food.
Just like when you see the cory come up to the top for air, every now and then is normal but when they come to surface too many times in short period which means lack of oxygen in the water.
So if I were you, I would feed your cory more often. Or make sure enough food reach to the bottom part of the tank. Or you can feed some fast SINKING food after the light is off.
Corys are big eater. And they do like lots of meaty food. Especially some kind of worms. Personally I do not feed the live black worm or tubflix since I know they are from the nasty water/mud. So there maybe the denger of getting some kind of diesease unless you clean them well. So I do feed the other kind of worms like grindel, white even micro worms and vinegar eels. They also like newly hatched brine shrimp and daphnia.
Anyway, I would concern the behavior you described if I were you. I only know one cory which normally feed on the mid air. I forgot which one but one of the dwarf cory, I think Hastetus. Even they feed on the surface of the plants leaf which happened to be around the middle part of the tank.

juliethegr8t said:
Psh.. not like she doesn't get plenty of shrimp pellets and algae wafers too, fatty! :rolleyes:
neon,
Did you read the whole post? :dunno:
I think these people know how much food their corys are getting.

cometcattle said:
juliethegr8t said:
neon,
Did you read the whole post? :dunno:
I think these people know how much food their corys are getting.
yeah , I think Neon didnt read the post , I probably over feed mine there is usually a few wafers and what not laying around for them to eat, i still see a few bloodworms leftover on bloodworm day, but they usually clean it up. they love it. they just go to the top to be greedy. :lol:

Thank you for your concern Neon, but the other guys are right - I feed my cories plenty, probably more than they need. :p They get the leftover flake food, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and frozen treats such as bloodworms. Also, I have two cories in that tank, and it seems to me that if there wasn't enough food for them, both would come to the top. However, it is just this one cory, and she has been doing it for quite some time now. :)

Edit: I just remembered that I have a picture of her doing this - it's so cute. I'll post it. :thumbs:

that does sound cute (and the picture proves it!) i dont have a cory that does it, but one of the big plecos in my oscar tank does. he comes up to where his nose is sticking out of the water and just sucks until some of the pellets come to him, it is very funny to watch

Hi Julie!!! :hyper: :*)

I got 3 albino baby cory cats a few weeks ago, just before my hideous nitrIte spike, anyhow.....they sort of act strange compared to the other corys I've had.

They all cruise around on the glass like NON STOP!!! Do yours do this?? The other 6 corys I've had never really did this up on the glass near the top, in the middle and on the bottom like these guys do. They NEVER sleep EVER!!!??? :lol: The water conditions are perfect now and I always have a bubble stone going so I know there is enough oxygen and I have an awesome filter that I love so I know they are getting good filtration :dunno: They are just spazzoids :wub: :wub:

????

silver said:
Hi Julie!!! :hyper: :*)

I got 3 albino baby cory cats a few weeks ago, just before my hideous nitrIte spike, anyhow.....they sort of act strange compared to the other corys I've had.

They all cruise around on the glass like NON STOP!!! Do yours do this?? The other 6 corys I've had never really did this up on the glass near the top, in the middle and on the bottom like these guys do. They NEVER sleep EVER!!!??? :lol: The water conditions are perfect now and I always have a bubble stone going so I know there is enough oxygen and I have an awesome filter that I love so I know they are getting good filtration :dunno: They are just spazzoids :wub: :wub:

????
My albinos are much livelier than all my other cories, they're really scatty, zooming around all the time

My cories go everywhere to look for food, but majority of the time will be digging in the sand. Imo, you need to watch for its stomach to see that it has been eating well if you're scare that there's too much competition and the cory is not getting any food.

Most reactions

Back