Any ‘Watch’ People Here?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I still can't get the patek philippe slogan out of my head "you never actually own a patek philippe, you merely look after it for the next generation". I feel like that is such a genius slogan on so many levels.
LOL. :rofl:

I agree that Rolex’s are just jewelry. They aren’t even that functional. I would be afraid to wear it anywhere, without breaking it. :unsure:

@NCaquatics be like: “You could buy a small house with this one”

Me: Sees that the highest price one has sold at auction for is $17.8 million dollars.

(ง'̀-'́)ง

:rofl:

Sorry. I still think it's extravagant
@evanb That’s OK. Nothing wrong with extravagant. Just telling you not to judge a book by its cover. I wear jeans and t-shirts, Walmart brand, most of the time but I still have my Rolex. It is an investment and better than stocks these days. Do you own ANYTHING that is higher end brand or is everything you own just generic?

LOL. :rofl:

I agree that Rolex’s are just jewelry. They aren’t even that functional. I would be afraid to wear it anywhere, without breaking it. :unsure:

@NCaquatics be like: “You could buy a small house with this one”

Me: Sees that the highest price one has sold at auction for is $17.8 million dollars.

(ง'̀-'́)ง

:rofl:
You have no idea what you are talking about. It’s the only watch I can wear 24/7, wear it in water, drop it, and it never misses a beat. Rolex wasn’t even being mentioned until I showed mine. You’re a bunch of babies. Grow up! I got my watch as a gift and it means so much to me. I shouldn’t even have to cola in this...it’s really none of your business but here goes. I cared for my father-in-law while he was dying. I stayed with him at the hospital and monitored the meds that were being given to him. I fought for his rights when they would sedate him at night and keep him so groggy that he didn’t know us. I sat with him for over a week and explained everything to him and the family. When it was time to make end of life decisions, I guided the family and worked with the bio-ethics team to provide informative information to my loved ones. My father-in-law said I was his interpreter. I explained the DNR papers to him, helped him sign them, and then I witnessed them and signed them too. He told my husband on his death bed to buy me the watch with money that he gave my husband. So there...I am not rich in money but I am rich in family love. That watch is not a Rolex to me, it’s a medal given by my husband in honor of his father. So go chew on your Timex awhile. I really don’t care about your immature opinions. Don’t judge a book by its cover!

You have no idea what you are talking about. It’s the only watch I can wear 24/7, wear it in water, drop it, and it never misses a beat. Rolex wasn’t even being mentioned until I showed mine. You’re a bunch of babies. Grow up! I got my watch as a gift and it means so much to me. I shouldn’t even have to cola in this...it’s really none of your business but here goes. I cared for my father-in-law while he was dying. I stayed with him at the hospital and monitored the meds that were being given to him. I fought for his rights when they would sedate him at night and keep him so groggy that he didn’t know us. I sat with him for over a week and explained everything to him and the family. When it was time to make end of life decisions, I guided the family and worked with the bio-ethics team to provide informative information to my loved ones. My father-in-law said I was his interpreter. I explained the DNR papers to him, helped him sign them, and then I witnessed them and signed them too. He told my husband on his death bed to buy me the watch with money that he gave my husband. So there...I am not rich in money but I am rich in family love. That watch is not a Rolex to me, it’s a medal given by my husband in honor of his father. So go chew on your Timex awhile. I really don’t care about your immature opinions. Don’t judge a book by its cover!
Uh... :confused:

I never said, and was never, insulting your personal Rolex. I just personally think that Rolex’s are over rated and are just jewelry. I think as far as durability goes, G-Shock is superior. Maybe for show or good events, then yes a Rolex would be more appropriate.

G-Shocks are just casios in otterboxes........;)

In reality though there is no craft to them, a well engineered and machined time piece is a thing to behold.
Why do they sell for so much more than they cost to make? Marketing. Someone somewhere got military contracts and they use this as a selling point while forgetting to mention they happened to get these contracts by being the cheapest..............

Uh... :confused:

I never said, and was never, insulting your personal Rolex. I just personally think that Rolex’s are over rated and are just jewelry. I think as far as durability goes, G-Shock is superior. Maybe for show or good events, then yes a Rolex would be more appropriate.
They are jewelry but what’s wrong with jewelry? It’s a good investment. It’s also one heck of a watch with precise timing. It’s just a matter of preference. People who have never owned something shouldn’t be giving reviews on a product. I have no dea what your G-shock is so I didn’t comment in it.

@Deanasue As a moderator, you know you are held to a higher standard. This is a conversation where people are expressing their viewpoints on watches and whether there is a point in owning an expensive watch. People are allowed to their opinion, but an ad hominem attack calling people with differing opinions from yours babies is not appropriate behavior from a moderator.

@Deanasue As a moderator, you know you are held to a higher standard. This is a conversation where people are expressing their viewpoints on watches and whether there is a point in owning an expensive watch. People are allowed to their opinion, but an ad hominem attack calling people with differing opinions from yours babies is not appropriate behavior from a moderator.
@mcordelia No one told me that. I thought my standard was just fine. My apologies, please! -edited-

They are jewelry but what’s wrong with jewelry? It’s a good investment. It’s also one heck of a watch with precise timing. It’s just a matter of preference. People who have never owned something shouldn’t be giving reviews on a product. I have no dea what your G-shock is so I didn’t comment in it.
Exactly, that is your opinion. Everyone is in titled to their own opinion.

You should do some research on G-Shocks, they are “show” models, women’s watches, men’s, out door, fitness, etc.

But they are all super durable.

So, I can’t comment and be myself if I’m a Mod. I rather be myself!

Not trying to start anything here. I was just saying that you can hate an opinion, but you shouldn't hate on the person having the opinion :)

Exactly, that is your opinion. Everyone is in titled to their own opinion.

You should do some research on G-Shocks, they are “show” models, women’s watches, men’s, out door, fitness, etc.

But they are all super durable.
Evidentially, according to @mcordelia , I am not entitled to my opinion. No one told me I had to stop if I became a Mod. I told them I didn’t want to be a Mod any longer for that very reason but I guess once a Mod, always a Mod. I seem to be stuck in the role. I’d rather just be a member. Mods get judged too much. Perhaps I just need to find another forum. I have enjoyed my time with you guys. Happy Holdays and please, stay safe! :).

Last edited:
Another watch company's watch slogan (Timex)

"Timex takes a licking but keeps on ticking .. From a vintage tv commercial . And back then, in the 60s, you could buy a Timex for $10. When it wore out, you would just throw it away and buy a new one.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back