Any Sony video camera lovers?

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Even though I'm more of a Canon camera person, there are people who prefer Sony cameras instead. Especially with the video ones that track (targets) moving stuff. What Sony video camera model do/did you own? What are some cool features (other than tracking) your camera has?

I had a Sony video camera. It was a digital camera but used video tape. It was a while back. Unfortunately I lost it in 2016 along with my videos

I love my Nikon P1000. It is great for capturing wildlife at far distances. It also is great for astrocartography. I took a picture of Saturn and got the rings. I took a picture of Jupiter and got its 3 moons. Speaking of moons, I can focus in one one crate in the moon if I wanted. I’ve only had it for about 6 months and work usually keeps me from enjoying photography, but I’ve managed to capture some nice shots over the summer.

When it comes to taking picture of my fish and shrimp, I got myself a little macro lens for my phone camera. Someone on this board actually suggested it. It was by Keywing and I got it on Amazon. It was not expensive.

Here are some pics I took recently.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9094.jpeg
    IMG_9094.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8863.jpeg
    IMG_8863.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8134.jpeg
    IMG_8134.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8084.jpeg
    IMG_8084.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8018.jpeg
    IMG_8018.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6561.jpeg
    IMG_6561.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0856.jpeg
    DSCN0856.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0824.jpeg
    DSCN0824.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0325.jpeg
    DSCN0325.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0346_03.jpeg
    DSCN0346_03.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0563.jpeg
    DSCN0563.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0623.jpeg
    DSCN0623.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 8
I still have an old Nikon 3200D just over 10 years old now. Got some pics of the fish in my 60L on it.

Attachments

• _DSC0045.JPG
    _DSC0045.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 6
  • _DSC0091.JPG
    _DSC0091.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSC0059.JPG
    _DSC0059.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 5
  • _DSC0018.JPG
    _DSC0018.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
  • _DSC0007.JPG
    _DSC0007.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 7
Can't speak on a Sony as I'm Canon through and through. I have a Canon EOS Rebel t7 with a 75-300MM and am 18-55mm lens. The video is only 1080p but that is plenty good for me as videos display just fine on my 55 inch LG 4K HDTV. I got hooked on Canon when I used to sell photos on-line. Canon cameras and printers are designed to work together

At times I've looked at Sony and Nikon but got turned off by the price difference. Sony charges to much for just about anything they sell and the same with Nikon from what I've seen. It is like you are paying an extra $100.00 USD just for the name.

Another problem that I found with Nikon is that it is too often that changing from one Nikon body to another too often makes any lens you already have useless as many camera bodies have different lens mounts. With Canon a lens is usually portable between camera bodies.

Don't get me wrong as both Nikon and Sony have good reputations with Nikon probably having the edge on still images and Sony probably having the edge on video. Also it must be understood that what I've said about Nikon and Sony are strictly taken from reviews and research, not personal experience so may not be all that accurate.

My first DSLR camera was a little 3.1 megapixel Olympus point and shoot that also did video ( think 720) but no audio. Kicked my own backside several times for not paying a little more and getting audio. If I were ever to turn away from Canon I would very likely go Olympus or, at least give them a serious look.

One thing to keep in mind with DSLR is the miss information as to megapixels. Megapixels have absolutely no bearing on image quality. Image quality is controlled mostly by by the sensor and the lens which is why a phone can't match a dedicated camera as the phone just can't match a good DSLR lens. What megapixels actually control is how large you can print a clean image.

As an example of image quality the following was taken with my little 3.1 megapixel Olympus. Nice photos but restricted as to print size by the low 3.1 megapixels. Pretty much the largest clean print is 14x11 inches. With my Canon Rebel T7 at 24 megapixels I could easily print wall posters.

Including the two following just as they were taken with that little 3.2 megapixel Olympus point and shoot. Either, even with the low megapixel will print perfect 14x11 prints due to to the optics. Click the images for full size.

seagull-1.jpg

jet20.jpg

Last edited:
I can't resist a rant on this one.
Years ago I had a Sony Video camera and it was rubbish. After 3 years I had not one minute of footage as despite being returned for repair several times it still failed to work. Sometimes it came back worse than ever and other times it seemed to work, only to fail again when I came to use it properly.
At the time I lived near one of their main UK centres so I went down in person and refused to leave the premises until they came me a new one! Well, they were so shocked at my story and by the quality of the "repairs' that I was given a replacement - a better model in fact, which did work.
Soon afterwards I won a Sony CD player in a competition. Right out of the box that failed to work too, so it had to go back for repair.
Obviously I was now avoiding Sony stuff so when I bought a new TV, it wasn't a Sony. That TV was subsequently subject to a recall and an engineer came to the house to replace a component which was apparently liable to fail. I talked to him and asked whether these TVs were reliable and he said yes, this was an isolated issue. Completely unprompted he then said to me that the only brand that constantly suffered from general quality control issues was Sony and he said I should avoid those.
A friend of mine then bought a music player and against my advice he bought a Sony. It failed very quickly and he had the same issues getting satisfaction from customer service that I had had, and after 6 months he gave up, threw it away and purchased something else.
More recently I needed a radio with a CD player and these are quite rare these days and the only one that fitted my requirements was a Sony. Reluctantly I bought it and whilst it hasn't broken down, it is very low spec and poor quality for the rather premium price I paid for it. Indeed, it seemed to lack even basic features such as displaying the name of the digital station it is tuned to (which makes tuning it rather difficult) and resuming to the same station after being turned off. I asked customer service whether this was a fault and all they said was take it back if it's faulty. I reckon it probably is faulty but they were as much use as a chocolate teapot and couldn't even understand that I was asking them to confirm IF it WAS faulty before I returned it. I gave up and I just live with the sub standard item.
Anyway, a long winded way of saying DON'T BUY ANYTHING SONY!

Most reactions

Back