Any lizards for coldwater aquariums?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

I may have asked this before, but are there any small lizards for cold water tanks?

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean lizard as in the reptile group, or amphibians like newts? I'm asking because I have known people refer to newts as "aquatic lizards." So far as I know, there are no lizards that could live in any aquarium, they are terrestrial.

Do you mean lizard as in the reptile group, or amphibians like newts? I'm asking because I have known people refer to newts as "aquatic lizards." So far as I know, there are no lizards that could live in any aquarium, they are terrestrial.

If it's big enough, I think you could do a Marine Iguana! I would second Byron - are you referring to a newt? All of these creatures that I would think you are referring to would need some way to get out of the water; they are semi-aquatic.

Do you mean lizard as in the reptile group, or amphibians like newts? I'm asking because I have known people refer to newts as "aquatic lizards."
In Australia crocodiles are often referred to as aquatic lizards or water lizards

In Australia crocodiles are often referred to as aquatic lizards or water lizards

Then there is the Red Lizard Catfish which is actually a reddish variety of the common Whiptail Catfish. I can understand crocodiles and maybe even newts being considerd "lizard" from their appearance, but not a catfish. :dunno:

There are actually aquatic lizards, well, semi-aquatic, available in the aquarium hobby. However, due to their warm blood, it's very unlikely they could live in cold water. I can DM you a link to a Paludarium with one in, if you wish. Unfortunately, many of the semi-aquatic lizard species are far too big to be kept in the average home aquarium. The most commonly kept are Draecana sp., often called Caiman Lizards. They are able to be kept in a large paludarium when young, and are very attractive, but unfortunately they grow to be about 5 feet in length. So unless you can provide an enclosure the size of a swimming pool, there isn't much available. People have, however, had success keeping smaller terrestrial, or arboreal, lizards in paludariums with fish.

If you are set on something aquatic, then an amphibian or some kind of terrapin would be more suitable.

Last edited:
ok well just wondered for my one gallon aquarium if I could get something like a lizard in there. I just removed all the stones and snails because despite a lot of water changes it still had detritus worms that came from a plant I bought back in february.

There aren't any lizards or newts that could reasonably be kept in a one gallon aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back