Any body up for a challenge??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Status
Not open for further replies.
you should not be experimenting on fish, this is against animal experimentation laws and requires licences, ethics reviews by appropriate qualified people

"The Animal Welfare Act, or AWA, is a federal law that addresses the standard of care animals receive at research facilities. This law excludes roughly 95 percent of the animals tested uponā€”such as rats, mice, birds, fish, and reptilesā€”and provides only minimal protections for the rest. Labs are not required to report non-AWA protected animals."
Source- https://aldf.org/article/federal-laws-and-agencies-involved-with-animal-testing/
*applies to USA

Not sure where you live, but here, it is legal to experiment on fish.

"The Animal Welfare Act, or AWA, is a federal law that addresses the standard of care animals receive at research facilities. This law excludes roughly 95 percent of the animals tested uponā€”such as rats, mice, birds, fish, and reptilesā€”and provides only minimal protections for the rest. Labs are not required to report non-AWA protected animals."
Source- https://aldf.org/article/federal-laws-and-agencies-involved-with-animal-testing/
*applies to USA

Id be surprised if there was such a law for fish considering companies are allowed to sell 1 gallon tanks advertised for the use of keeping goldfish.

Come on guys. This is no experiment it is just another approach to fish keeping which has been around for half a century. It is to do with biological filtration and safe practices
*applies to USA

Do you work with Animals in the US? from my little reading in the US it just covers mammals (wow.. backward... -_-)

I can't speak for the US, however all vertebrates (and now Cephalopods) are covered in the UK under the scientific animals act. And as such it is highly regulated, highly monitored and held to high ethical standards.

It's not that it is not legal, Anyone who is undergoing experimentation on animals is required by law to be a professional with adequate training in handling and the law and associated with a lab or facility which is approved

You cannot experiment on animals in your back garden despite what is or is not covered by acts not only is it cruelty is is massively unethical

Id be surprised if there was such a law for fish considering companies are allowed to sell 1 gallon tanks advertised for the use of keeping goldfish.
In the UK pet animals act and the animal welfare act say that animals require adequate space and housing So technically there are a lot of people breaking the law, (it is the reason why you don't see goldfish in a bag at the fair any more). But the issue comes down to policing. They can even get the people who mistreat horses, cows dogs and cats let alone check every house for a goldfish bowl.

Do you work with Animals in the US? from my little reading in the US it just covers mammals (wow.. backward... -_-)

I can't speak for the US, however all vertebrates (and now Cephalopods) are covered in the UK under the scientific animals act. And as such it is highly regulated, highly monitored and held to high ethical standards.

It's not that it is not legal, Anyone who is undergoing experimentation on animals is required by law to be a professional with adequate training in handling and the law and associated with a lab or facility which is approved

You cannot experiment on animals in your back garden despite what is or is not covered by acts not only is it cruelty is is massively unethical
No I do not work with animals but through research it seems the AWA does not cover fish.

Many places have fish experimentaion laws but many places do not as well so personally I see it irrelevant to say it is against the law without specifying area to experiment on fish.

The UK pet animal act can be found here

The UK animal welfare act can be found here

And the UK scientific animals act can be found here;

@mbsqw1d

I think this "experimenting on" is somewhat misleading. There are no laws on how you should go about keeping fish as pets, as i said, you can go out and buy a ridiculously small 'fish tank' and put a goldfish in it, companies advertise this, with the slogan "just add water!"
Whilst there are some well known do's and don'ts floating around the fish keeping forum communities, they are by no means legally enforced. Which ever method you choose is up to you, is it experimenting? Perhaps

No I do not work with animals but through research it seems the AWA does not cover fish.

Many places have fish experimentation laws but many places do not as well so personally I see it irrelevant to say it is against the law without specifying area to experiment on fish.
Despite this according to the national centre for biotechnology research there may be no formal law for non mammalian animals there are other regulations in place which cover ethical standard which are imposed on experimentation of all animals
found here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK24650/

Also It is not irrelevant, It is not ethical in any way shape or form for someone to be experimenting on animals in their home. Most countries have some form of ethical standards, and all scientific publications require ethical review to have been done and certain ethical standards to be met, so even if it is legal in one country it is still held to high ethical standards of those people who understand the importance of having good ethical standards for such work.

I think this "experimenting on" is somewhat misleading. There are no laws on how you should go about keeping fish as pets, as i said, you can go out and buy a ridiculously small 'fish tank' and put a goldfish in it, companies advertise this, with the slogan "just add water!"
Whilst there are some well known do's and don'ts floating around the fish keeping forum communities, they are by no means legally enforced. Which ever method you choose is up to you, is it experimenting? Perhaps
You live in the UK. yes there is it is called the animal welfare act and the pet animals act I posted them above

Reactions: kwi
Despite this according to the national centre for biotechnology research there may be no formal law for non mammalian animals there are other regulations in place which cover ethical standard which are imposed on experimentation of all animals
found here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK24650/

Also It is not irrelevant, It is not ethical in any way shape or form for someone to be experimenting on animals in their home. Most countries have some form of ethical standards, and all scientific publications require ethical review to have been done and certain ethical standards to be met, so even if it is legal in one country it is still held to high ethical standards of those people who understand the importance of having good ethical standards for such work.
It is time you stop keeping fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back