Any Antique Car drivers here amongst us?

bgarthe33 51

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Apr 9, 2026
Messages
342
Reaction score
745
Points
93
Location
Peru, IL USA
Ok, I could not find “the proper” category for this…….sports being the closest. Just curious if any of you are into older cars.

Short story abt how I got into these cars.
When I was dating my girlfriend (now my wife), I’d pick her up in my 1971 AMC Hornet. It was a good car and all, but the car that made my socks go up in and down was the Datsun 280ZX. When I arrived, I would say here I am in my “poor man’s Datsun 280ZX”. I couldn’t afford them back then being in college and all. Fast forward to 2019……. Our house was paid off, no debt, daughters grown up and I got to fullfill a bucket list item…..drive my own ZX:yahoo: I ended up getting two of them. The red and black one pictured is a dream come true for a bunch of reasons. When I got it in 2021, it only had 28k miles, was #241 of only 500 ever produced being a special 10th special Anniversary edition, and it drives like a dream and does real well at car shows. Now I can take my wife out on dates and do it in the car of my dreams.:kana::wub:o_O
IMG_0793.webp
My 1980 Datsun 280ZX …10th Anniversary Edition, 5 speed manual, fully loaded.
IMG_1591.webpIMG_1507.webp
Yes….I did have to do a bunch of mechanical stuff to make them road-worthy, safe, and reliable.
IMG_1907.webpIMG_1922.webpIMG_3625.webpIMG_3635.webpIMG_1839.webpIMG_2029.webpIMG_3552.webp
Yes, I am a goon….wearing a custom photo printed shirt and hat having my actual car images on them. :hooray:
IMG_1915.webpIMG_0797.webp
This ZX is my 1983 which I actually got before the 1980. When that red/blk ZX showed up on auction, I just “had” to get it.
IMG_1823.webp
IMG_3647.webpIMG_1959.webp
 
I’d sure like to get another VW Bug but parts are getting scarcer and more expensive . I had a 73 Super Beetle and a 1970 standard Beetle and loved them both . I even rebuilt the engine on the 1970 and it ran perfectly ! Something I found out about the air cooled heating system on those is that they work very good . The problem is that most , if not all , VW Bugs have changed hands many times and each successive owner has modified the engine compartment and not returned it to factory spec . When all the rubber seals and various parts are in and the manifold actuated thermostat is replaced and installed correctly the heat is almost overpowering .
 
I've had antique cars, but mainly because I was a broke teacher with kids.

Some of my rusty old Toyotas with mega-mileage on them would probably have qualified. I had a Chevy Nova that had once hit a moose. The moose had landed on the roof, and the dent divided the front and back seats.
 
I had a Chevy Nova that had once hit a moose. The moose had landed on the roof, and the dent divided the front and back seats.
Wow ! I had a buddy years ago that had a 72 Chevy Nova he hit a deer with and it totally mangled the drivers side front fender . You gotta remember that this is from the times that cars were made of steel . What would an encounter like that do to one of these plastic cars of today ?
 
I don't drive yet, but my grandad used to have a beautiful Jag Mk1. Very similar to this one.
1776530132143.webp

There is also a guy in the village who has a 1946 Willys jeep and a 1968 Plymouth GTX, very envious.
 
mine vary from a 1938 Nash Lafayette, to modern collectibles, but one I’ll never sell ( not the nicest or most valuable ) is a 1960 ( year I was born ) El Camino… just a cruiser, but that car “is” me…
IMG_9468.webp
 
Ok, I could not find “the proper” category for this…….sports being the closest. Just curious if any of you are into older cars.

Short story abt how I got into these cars.
When I was dating my girlfriend (now my wife), I’d pick her up in my 1971 AMC Hornet. It was a good car and all, but the car that made my socks go up in and down was the Datsun 280ZX. When I arrived, I would say here I am in my “poor man’s Datsun 280ZX”. I couldn’t afford them back then being in college and all. Fast forward to 2019……. Our house was paid off, no debt, daughters grown up and I got to fullfill a bucket list item…..drive my own ZX:yahoo: I ended up getting two of them. The red and black one pictured is a dream come true for a bunch of reasons. When I got it in 2021, it only had 28k miles, was #241 of only 500 ever produced being a special 10th special Anniversary edition, and it drives like a dream and does real well at car shows. Now I can take my wife out on dates and do it in the car of my dreams.:kana::wub:o_O
View attachment 380319
My 1980 Datsun 280ZX …10th Anniversary Edition, 5 speed manual, fully loaded.
View attachment 380317View attachment 380318
Yes….I did have to do a bunch of mechanical stuff to make them road-worthy, safe, and reliable.
View attachment 380320View attachment 380321View attachment 380322View attachment 380323View attachment 380324View attachment 380325View attachment 380326
Yes, I am a goon….wearing a custom photo printed shirt and hat having my actual car images on them. :hooray:
View attachment 380327View attachment 380328
This ZX is my 1983 which I actually got before the 1980. When that red/blk ZX showed up on auction, I just “had” to get it.
View attachment 380329
View attachment 380330View attachment 380331
That's pretty mint! I used to have a mk2 Golf gti (not sure if they were called Rabbit over in the US at that point, I know the mk1 was but can't remember). Decent ones are well out of my price range now, plus I barely use my daily car as I commute by train so I have no use for a second one! But if I had a small lottery win I would 100% buy a mk1 or a mk2.

Where I live in the UK we have a local US-themed cruise meet every August. I have no idea what most of the cars are but they are all in such amazing condition and it's fantastic to see them all come out and be shown off by their owners.
 
My first car was a convertible 1960 VW bug. which I got in 64. But the oldest car I ever got to drive was a Model A Ford. It was not a long drive is was just a few blocks around the George Washington Univ. in 1967.

When at the 2023 Keystone Clash the hotel worked with an outfit which auctioned antique cars, There were two rooms full of them in immaculate condition. The get to the men's room near the vendor room one had to walk by all the cars.
 
Last edited:
That Jag is awesome ! I love British cars .
I used to I now have three and now realise how poor they are . No more for me after these

Not quite antique but my Land Rover Defender is 27 years old .I actually love it but they are a money pit and so badly made
DEFENDER.webp


My TVR is the longest I have owned a car , a 5 litre v8 in a fiberglass body with no driver aids , interesting and ace sounding car it was 30 years old this year

TVR.webp


I bought this Jag a couple of years ago and its spent almost a year of that in the garage on two occasions, hands down the worst car I have owned for that kind of issue. Great when it works and super quick etc but I would never buy Jaguar again. It is 14 years old now.Just waiting to get it back with the huge bill and then I'll have to try and get rid of a 5 litre v8 in a fuel price crisis which should be fun

JAG.webp
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top