Anubias Nana Question about setting in

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sarkis

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i was told by the lfs, use a peice of fishing line and tie it too driftwood, letting it float in the tank. Not sumerging the roots in the gravel. Is this true?

Also i bought a Flora_glo 30w 2800k light for my tank. LFS said this is what i need. The light makes the tank look dark and greenish, is this normal?

The roots like to be under the substrate, but not the rhizome. If you let it float, the roots will grow until they reach the substrate and anchor themselves.

you can either tie it to wood or plant it in the gravel. however, if you plant it in the gravel you mustn't submerge the rhizome - tha'ts the thick horizontal "root" that all the otehr roots grow from. if you bury this, it wil rot, and the plant will die.

not sure about the light except that higher wattage would be nice :/ but might not be easy to achieve without a new canopy.

2800K is too low for good plant growth. Chlorophyll absorbs best at between 5500K and 6500K.

Lateral Line said:
2800K is too low for good plant growth. Chlorophyll absorbs best at between 5500K and 6500K.
going tonight to buy a new canopy. My tank is a 46gallon bowhead, it currently only has one light. I am looking for a 2 light setup b/c all the one lights i can find are 30W and i need atleast 96 watts to have 2wpg. Who makes good lights and canopys

you're looking at about 100 bucks to have a double fluorescent light fixture, at least thats how much it is around here. plus good plant bulbs, it will come out to about 160 even 200 (I paid about $40+tax) for each one of my bulbs. The cheapest solution if you can, would be to build a canopy box yourself, buy a double bulb ballast, bulb plugs and do it yourself!

I made a 52w hood for a 10g for about $30 or so out of a rain gutter. I guess if I did a longer 104w hood the same way it would cost around $50. I was going for economy, not quality (it's probably less than 52w if you account for restrike).

>>> Who makes good lights and canopys

Few manufacturers make good hoods for planted tanks. Most planted tank enthusiasts end up DIY'ing to get what they want.

Lateral Line said:
>>> Who makes good lights and canopys

Few manufacturers make good hoods for planted tanks. Most planted tank enthusiasts end up DIY'ing to get what they want.
went out today and bought a new light. http://www.oceanicsystems.com/images/pics/lighting02.jpg i got it for a very good price. Tank is a 46 gallon he light is a double light fixture unit. 55watts each So a 110watts combined. Is this any better for my plants or this wont help anything

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back