Another Stocking Question.

allie95

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
PA
If I put a betta in with my guppies & platies, would it kill them? :blush: Stuipid question, probably.
 
Each Betta splendens has its own personality. You would need to monitor the betta, but my own experiences doing just exactly that is that the betta settles in rather quickly after being introduced to a community situation. They sometimes will chase a platy or guppy for a few minutes at first but quickly realize that the other fish can swim away from them at will and give up to just live peacefully in the tank.
 
Each Betta splendens has its own personality. You would need to monitor the betta, but my own experiences doing just exactly that is that the betta settles in rather quickly after being introduced to a community situation. They sometimes will chase a platy or guppy for a few minutes at first but quickly realize that the other fish can swim away from them at will and give up to just live peacefully in the tank.

My betta was a pretty laid back guy but trying him with guppies was a disaster, they harrassed him so he attacked. I agree with OldMan47 that they all have unique personalities, but I wouldn't personally recommend putting him in with guppies. If you decide to do it tho watch it closely and have a backup plan incase you need to do an emergency evacuation.
 
Like oldman says, it all depends on the individual bettas temperament, some will take to other fish some wont allow any other tank mates.

One thing I will say, if you plan on adding guppies with a betta, definately avoid any guppies that are a similar colour to the betta. Due to guppies large flowing tails (males especially) bettas can sometimes mistake them for other bettas and attack them, it happened to me when I first started fishkeeping and didnt know any better.

Andy
 
Okay. If it doesnt work out with the guppies, I have an extra 2-gallon fishbowl. I'll put him in there. But since they pretty much all have yellow tails, would a blue or red betta work best?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top