Another Stocking Question (46G)...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Havvie

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have almost completed my first fishless cycle in my 46 gallon tank and I am excited to finally get some fish in there! My ph is between 8.0 and 8.5 on my test chart, and that seems to have limited my options a bit as most common fish I see, seem to prefer it a bit lower. I'm looking for some advice/opinions on what would be some good options for my first finned friends!

The main fish that I really want to keep are gouramis. I just love them and from what I have read it sounds like they should be ok with my ph? I was thinking either opaline or pearl, it seems pearls are a bit more peaceful and more appropriate for beginners like myself so maybe they would be a better starter fish than the opaline. I was thinking three of them? Can more than one species of gourami be kept together, could I keep a couple pearls and one opaline? At the LFS they have all of them in together but I know that doesn't always mean much. What are some other good options that would get along with the gouramis and tolerate my ph levels? I was thinking swordtails since they require higher ph and are quite pretty, but I don't want a million babies. My husband loves cardinal tetras and angel fish, would either of those be options? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Havvie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back